Les Paul Classic 7 string review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Classic 7 string

Purchased from: Chris Guitars (NY)

The sound is awesome! I love how versatile this guitar can be. I play the heavy metal rock, to a grunge, and to even a punk style, and yet when you play it clean, and just strum open chords. It sounds so beautiful. I would've thought that the bottom B would muffle the sound too much, but nope, it sounds crisp and clean. Even when it's unplugged, it still sounds great!

I play a decent mix of heavy metal rock to softer tones, this guitar is very versatile. Don't let the Extra B-string scare you away. This axe can head in almost any direction given the right hands to take it that way. The only flaw I personally have with the guitar, is that it is a bit heavy, but with time you tend to over look that. All in all, great guitar to own, just very hard to find one, run lots of searches for it, and you will eventually find one.

I know this guitar can go the distance. Don't let the name Epiphone fool you at all. This guitar is just as ready to rock as you are, and can keep up with the best of them. I would definitely keep this guitar in my front line up, hands down, this guitar is veeeery reliable.

The action on the guitar is superb! Just simply perfect, not too high, not super low, just perfect, you can solo on this guitar like no tomorrow, and still play bar and power chords without getting tired. With this guitar, you rarely have to tune, even with fresh strings! Put them on there, spend about 10 minutes fine tuning them, then viola! They're set, and only after very hard playing have I had to go back and tweak them a bit. The finish on the guitar is just radiant! Almost everybody that I show this guitar to their mouths just drop in awe. The finish on the Vintage Sunburst is just off the chart.

Everything that a standard Epiphone LP would have, just the addition of the B-String, if you have the chance, buy the Vintage sunburst flametop, the finish is Breath taking! I like the tones I can get with this guitar, I love the high crunchy sounds, and even tho the bottom B gives it more of a bassy feel. If you work with it, you can come out with some heavy hitting sounds, people complain about the nexk being too wide, I did at first, but I adjusted to it pretty quickly. It's not as bad as everyone says it is, I feel wierd going back to a normal 6 stringed guitar, thats how use to it I got lol.

johnnymorf
    Does anyone know what specific pick-ups come with this model? In mine they look like Seymour Duncans, just from the look of the screw and pole configuration on the top. I've just installed some 7-string JB and Jazz pick-ups and the difference isn't that dramatic... So I'm wondering if they're almost the same ones I've replaced them with? Thanks
    Philall4Gsus
    I have one! I bought it new about 12 years ago and it has only been used now and then. I play a lot of styles and so don't always want a 7 string but family commitments are pressing me to have to give this one up! It is the Charcoal Flame top version and had one machine head replaced as the plastic washer was cracked on the 3rd string machine head when I bought it. One or two small marks(dings) but anyone interested in making an offer? I am going to put it on ebay soon. It was 435 in the shop I bought it from (Scheerers in Leeds, before they started specialising mainly in drums).
    DirEnGrey
    why doesnt epiphone start to sell these things again? I mean seriously these things are popular and will bring alot of money to the company and not only that but it will also just be posted on the website to buy. I would think to do this
    JCVonMueller
    I picked one of these up on clearance from Sam Ash for $199 back in about 2001 give or take a year. The finish was Vintage Sunburst and it was beautiful...No flaws at all. I traded it for a Sheraton II. I wish I could have kept it and bought the Sheraton straight out, but that was then... I love my Sheraton and my '99 Epi LP. If you find one of these and want a 7 string, get it.
    stadlzeit
    they have the standard 490t thats gibsons and epis come with. It sounded muddy but that was bc i was plkaying thru an epuhone firefly. thick gauge+tube amp=great LP tone. I may at some point change the pups. Im changing one of my 7 pups to bare knuckles so I probably put the seymour duncan blackouts it has in it which sound great (for active pups).