Les Paul Custom review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Custom

Purchased from: Guitar Center Spokane

I play just about anything. Like any Les Paul, it'll play any sort of rock/alternative/hardcore/metal or the likes. I find it a little too thick for jazzy stuff though. I play it through a Line 6 Flextone III Plus. Great thick and rich sound like you'd expect form a guitar as heavy as this. Its not the most versatile guitar. Way too bassy and thick for ligher stuff like I said though.

I've been playing for about three years now and this is my second guitar. It is a great match for most of the music I play, but like I said before, its way too bassy for my liking for lighter stuff. No regrets about this purchase at all. I would replace it if stolen or lost. The one thing about this guitar that I love the most is the look. The white body with black and gold accent is just plain sexy. Its a very classy "tux" look. When looking shopping for the guitar, I compared it to the Epi LP Standard. After playing both back to back, the $100 extra for was a no-brainer decision. The Standard seemed a little cheaper and didn't play nearly as well as the Custom did. I also played the Custom against a Gibson LP Studio as well. Again, the Custom played better than the higher priced Gibby. To prove that it wasn't just that Gibby, I borrowed my friend's Studio and played them back to back as well after I bought the Custom. Again, both him and I thought the Custom played better. I think the Epiphone Les Paul's are great if you don't have enough money to go for a higher and overpriced Gibson model. For the price, you'll be hard pressed to find a better overall guitar. Sure, the Agiles are nice as well, but from my experience, you'd want to replace the bridge and pickups. By the time you add that up, you're around $500 anyway.

I've had the guitar a little over 6 months now and haven't had any huge problems at all. Other than the tone knob falling off, this guitar is very solidly built. People say that Epiphones arn't very high quality, but I'll have to disagree. Sure, there are some bad ones that get through QC, but this one is top notch. I play this thing hard almost every day and there haven't been any huge issues at all.

Very good quality, but like just about any guitar there are just a few faults. First, there were a couple very small blemishes on the finish near the neck. Very small though, I didn't see them until a month or so after I bought the guitar. The set-up (which I presume was done at GC) was a little off. I had to fix the intonation a little bit, but that was a quick fix. One of the tone knobs came off as well, but thats a 5 second super glue job. There is a little bit of fret buzz, but I could probably fix that when I have time to mess around with the truss rod. Lastly, the G-string has a little trouble staying in tune. I thought it might have been how it was strung, but when I restrung it, it was a little bit better, but not much.

- 2004 model made where ever the new Epi's are made - Thick mahogany neck, rosewood fretboard with nice sized frets - Heavy mahogany body with maple arched top - White finish with black and cream binding on the body, neck, and headstock - Tune-O-Matic bridge. - Three-way pickup selector (bridge, neck/bridge, neck) - Two tone, two volume knobs - Dual Gibson Designed pickups - Grover tuners - All gold hardware.