Les Paul Custom review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Custom

Purchased from: eBay

This guitar could possibly be used for some electric blues (see John Mayall's Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton [1966]), but I feel that some hard rock n roll or metal is where it performs best. The rhythm pickup (at the neck) has plenty of rough brawn for some serious powerchording or low-tone soloing (think Sweet Child O' Mine); while the lead is great for some solos with a biting treble. Use both together and by adjusting the various vol and tone controls you can get a great tone for chord work or an in-your-face humbucker roar for a solo or riff. I use it with a Boss Overdive/Distortion set to full Drive, overdrive and a 15-watt Fender amp through the clean channel. The rhythm pickup can be noisy, but the humbuckers give out a great warm tone.

I play mainly blues, rock or metal, and I feel that the LP Custom can perform well in all 3 but I feel a tendency to the latter 2. The scale length is shorter than my Strat's, so it's great for riffing. I've been playing for two years now and this is my third guitar (I started on an Encore acoustic). It is by far the most robust, and is great for in-your-face rock. It's not so easy to shred on (which is why Matt Heafy uses it). If lost I would either hunt the bastard who nicked it down and pummel them with it or buy another one. For anything more technical, though, I would use my Strat, simply because I love the feel of it and it has easy access to the higher frets.

This guitar, I think, would withstand live playing. It's gone plenty of beef to survive, and everything is well put together, so it's not going to fall apart in your hands. Also, it is made of mahogany, so if any stage invader comes towards you, you could knock them out without seriously damaging the guitar.

With this guitar I find that you have to press down pretty hard around the 12th fret to avoid buzzing. I've tried adjusting the truss rod, but this hasn't done much. The finish is lovely, but esily scratched. There's also a bit of glue on the fingerboard, but it's not that bad. However, this is a bit disappointing for a guitar of this stature, so I would recommend buying one from a physical shop you can go to to check that it's up to scratch and without any.

I don't know where this guitar was made, but I presume that it was the Far East (China, Korea, Japan). I bought it off a Chinese guy on eBay. 22 jumbo frets, 24.75" scale length, neck set into a mahogany body with a maple top. Beautiful gold hardware (you may need to wipe adhesive off the pickups after you remove the plastic covers) and a nice triple white binding around the edges. Mine is a glossy black, but you can get white ones also. Tune-O-Matic bridge mit stopbar, a volume and tone control for each humbucker and a 3-way Switch (N/NB/B). Grover tuners, which is nice, and two Allen keys (for truss rod and action) - the truss rod can be accessed by taking the cover off at the headstock. All in all, a hefty but beautiful guitar.