Les Paul Custom review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Custom

Purchased from: Local Store

I play mostly Hard Rock and Metal. Guns N Roses, Metallica, Children Of Bodom, Nirvana, Velvet Revolver, some Hendrix, Pantera, Sabbath, quite a varied range. I use a Marshall MG100DFX and although the Epiphone humbuckers aren't the most fantastic in the world it still sounds great for pretty much everything. Great distortion and easy to play. The clean sound isn't as great as the distortion, I guess you'd say its a little weak. But a touch of flange to the clean sound its it's not too bad. It's never really noisy unless your standing ontop of it with the volume on full. But as I said before it covers almost any sound, from blues to hard rock to heavy metal.

For $920 australian it isn't bad at all in my opinion. If it was stolen I would buy another les paul, whether it would be an Epiphone would depend on how much money I had. But it's still a good all-round guitar from lead to rhythm playing, it covers it all.

It's great, it hardly ever goes out of tune, and is great for live performing, although because of the typical heavy Les Paul body it can be a little sore of the neck after a while, you get use to it. The only bad thing is, the gold hardware on the pickups and somewhat on the bridge are starting to wear off a little, and I've only had it for about 6 months, but I don't mind it too much, just gives it more of a raw, rustic feel.

It was set up fine when I first got it, maybe the action was a little high but that took about 2 seconds to fix. The pickups were fine and the bridge was great. The pickup selector sometimes got stuck on one setting if I changed from rhythm to treble quickly but that was only on some amps, which were the crappy ones at school, seems fine on my amp. All the finish was great and the neck looked great.

I'm not sure the year it was made, but it was made in Korea, 22 fret thin '60s style mahogony neck, mahogony body. Alpine-white finish with gold hardware. Epiphone humbucker pickups. Diamond-block inlays and Tune-O-Matic bridge.

gibsonlespaul44
    i own a gibson les paul, and i personally think they are the best. its the best guitar ive played on. i have also played and epiphone. i agree with punkerkid79. try a gibson instead. there is a difference.
    SG!
    gibsons are good if you have the money but epiphones are realy goood for the money so say if you did get a epiphone les paul custom it would be much much cheaper and then getting a gibson les paul custom. the gibson lp standars are about 2 grand STANDARD by the way this is in australia.
    alphamarquis
    You have a hearing probably if you can't tell the difference. Try the Epi LP Custom, followed by an Epi LP Elitist Custom, then a Gibson Custom Shop Epi Elitist Custom I think you'll be able to tell the difference.
    Mahoru
    I own the Epiphone LesPaul Custom Ltd. Edition (ebony finish with black chrome mirror hardware), and I can say it really feels like a Gibson LP Studio. IT'S THE SAME. Don't get fooled by the price and the name, this is one of the best guitars you can get in this price range. If you like extreme metal, you should look first for an Ibanez or an LTD, but this one can make really hard and screaming sounds, too.