Les Paul Custom review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Custom

The sound of one LP is pretty much the same for the majority. Before the flamefest starts, I will say that as an LP lover, LPs sound very much alike no matter what brand, only to be dramatically changed by the type of pickup. That being said, the sound that this guitar does give is a rich, clear tone with the stock pickups sounding damn close to Burstbuckers (the Gibson ones). It is full on both pickups, and w/both pups selected, it gives a very distinct Allman Bros.-ish tone. Tone and volume knobs are very responsive to the overall tone as well. I'm gonna change the bridge pup for a little more gain and raunchyness though.

My overall impression of this guitar is phenominal. As my first real LP, I can't get enough of it. If somebody stole it, I would probably cry and then never stop searching until I found it again, then rip off the balls of the dude that did it and put molten lead down their throats. Me trying to be funny aside, I can't speak enough of it. If oyu are in a store and you see an Epiphone LP that does not sound that good or play that good I beg you to ask to see another one. These guitars will not let you down.

As the majority of players know, even drummers, there is no such thing as a light LP. Literaly Bullet-proof. But, that heft gets you: insane amounts of abuse can be taken, sustain that lasts for days with no vibrato and an extremely solid-feel and that is always nice. It may take a little while to tune, but it refuses to go out once it's there.

When I tried it in the store, the action was amazing. Not too low, not too high, minimal fret buzz. After about a week though I took it to a tech for a set-up. Sure enough, the intonation was off and he even tightened the tuners (a big help). It now plays 10x better after that set-up. But so does every guitar.

Solid mahogany body w/ 2 Alnico 5 pickups, 2 tone and 2 vol. knobs, black pickguard (I got alpine white), 3-way toggle, 22 fret rosewood neck that is set into body, block inlays, Grover tuners, LP Custom head inlay. I think it's from 04 or 05 and was made in China but set up in the US.