Les Paul Custom review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Custom

Purchased from: petercooks.co.uk

My style is a bluesy rock and metal style and this guitar suits it beautifully. Pretty much all genres and styles can be accomedated on this guitar. The sound is generally thick and bassy with a good tone which is great sounding. The neck pickup can seem a little muddy under high gain and takes a lot of Precision and practice to get a clear bright sound from it. The bridge pickup is pretty good but overall the pickups are unremarkable.

I play buesy rock and metal and as I said before this guitar suits all genres and styles. I have been playing for nearly two years now and this guitar is great. I also own a Tanglewood rock 3 and a Marshall MG30DFX. If it was stolen I would gladly buy this guitar again. I love it's versatility and thick tone but if you play professionally or have the cash, I would recommend some aftermarket pickups. I don't like the fact that the lamination of the guitar is a little too thick and gives the guitar a slightly plastic feel.

This guitar is well laminated and is up to the rigures of gigging. The strap buttons are only mediocre so I would reccomend locking straps if you gig regularly. The hardware is chrome and will not rust in our lifetime! With care this guitar should last longer than you do.

The fit and finish is pretty damn good for a guitar of this price. The action was a little high for my liking but this was easily sorted. The pickups work well together and I have yet to find a fault with the construction of the guitar. The frets were a little scratchy when I first got this guitar but that was probably from sitting in storage for months at a time and not the manufacturer's fault. The nut is great and well cut and there is absolutely no issues with the switches and hardware.

This guitar was made in 2006 in Korea, It has 22 jumbo frets and it has a rosewood fingerboard. The body is made from mahogany while the nack is maple (I think). The finish is a nice glossy black with a cream binding. The fingerboard also has nice mother-of-pearl style block fret inlays. The style is a Singlecut of course. It has a very stable Tune-O-Matic bridge and has all the usual Les Paul stuff like 4 controls and a toggle. It also comes with grover tuners which are very easy to use and very stable.

dr460n_n1nj4
    i purchased a roughed up ebony les paul custom from a friend. when i purchased it, it had tarnished and rusted gold hardware and pickups. when playing in alternative tunings such as drop d, the pick-ups wouldnt give the full tone and would cut in and out. nearly a year after getting the les paul is amassed all chrome hardware and a dimarizio d sonic pickup. i'vve been playing my les paul with the new setup for about 4 months not and i am amazed at the difference. while the chrome hardware only changes the aesthetics of the beast, the d sonic produces an amazing tone when combined withe sustain of the les paul. i've played gibson les paul standards, and they dont hold anything up to my remastered epi. for the price, its a great guitar, throw another $150 into it on a great pickup, and it will blow any other axe away.
    psychoderek
    I bought a black Epiphone Les Paul Custom from China on Ebay, really good price. Fret buzz was terrible but had it set up at local guitar dealers and now it plays as sweet as a daisy except for one or two frets way up past the twelfth on the bottom E but as I don't play up there that much I can live with that. I used to own an actual Gibson LP Custom before I stupidly sold it and as far as I can tell there is hardly any difference between the Epiphone and the Gibson [except for the major difference in price!] Everything is just as I remember with old Gibson - I am really glad I bought as I could never afford a real Gibson nowadays and this is near-as-dammit the same. Sounds great, loads of sustain and the finish and overall appearance of the guitar I can't fault. If you can buy one from a shop where you can check it out first go for it!! Even within a brand some guitars need a lot more setting up before you can say you are entirely happy. I think some of my frets needed filing the guy at the shop said [which he did] but I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself. I also bought an Epiphone ES335 Dot and that's fantastic too but I think out of the 2 the Les Paul will probably get played more.