Les Paul Custom review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Custom

Purchased from: nevada music

I play anything from Indie to shred and anything in between, and this guitar is perfect for pretty much all styles. I'm using it with a Marshall MG15 practise amp, garbage I know but this guitars quality still shines through, I was lucky enough to play this through both a Laney VC15 valve amp and a Marshall JVM half stack and this guitar shone through both. This guitar has a very full and rich sound. On clean, I can get incredible warm jazz tones on the neck pickup and with the treble pickup selected, a nice jangly tone reminiscent of Oasis and Manic Street Preachers, a design for life. The sound can get a little muddy on this selection, but I barely use the treble pickup for cleans, because I have found the best clean sound of them all. When I select the middle option on the pickup selector (which combines both pickups) I get the most amazing clean sound. It's incredible, sweet, warm, bassy and the high end just shimmers, in some ways it's better than a Fender clean, more warmth and body. However the sound of this guitar is a little too dense for styles such as funk and Indie, so the Fenders are better for that. On to distortion. It's a Les Paul, the sustain is unbelievable, play a note and it will ring for what seems like days. The bite and clarity of the treble pickup excels for any form of rock, classic rock, even metal, and with the rhythm pickup, I get a very sweet solo tone that cuts through and stands out with incredible sustain. This pickup however, I find very muddy for rhythm playing, despite being the rhythm pickup, so I would maybe swap out this pickup for a Bareknuckle Mule or another pickup. The good thing about Les Pauls is that they are very easy to modify, if you want to enhance or have a different sound, then it's easy to do so.

I've been playing for 2 years and own a Yamaha Pacifica but have played other gear, such as Mexican Fender Strats and Teles, Jaguars, and even a Gibson Les Paul. This guitar is perfect for my music as it is so versatile, and for the price, the quality cannot be faulted. If it were stolen I would buy this again definitely, because I think this guitar is great quality for the money. I love the way it does both clean and distortion so well. The neck pickup is a bit muddy, but what do you expect, it's not an 1000+ guitar. It doesn't sound exactly like a proper Gibson, but it's close, and is much better value for money. I bought this guitar because I like and needed the Les Paul sound to add to my rig. I compared it to a Fender Standard Stratocaster (nice, but I have a Yamaha Pacifica which pretty much gives the same sort of sound at a slightly lower quality) and a Fender Standard Telecaster (ok but nowhere near as good as the American), but I chose this mainly because I have a Strat copy, so I wanted a guitar with humbuckers. I wish I had tried out the PRS SE range, but I prefer the look of the Epiphone. Overall this guitar is fantastic as a second guitar, and it can be used for gigs and recording too and sound great.

The guitar is very heavy but very durable, I accidently knocked it on a wooden table and it did no damage whatsoever. I have had no problems with electronics but I shouldn't really. The finish is very thick, which adds to the weight but also the beauty of the instrument. The strap buttons don't seem to be too solid so they might need replacing as the strap has come off a couple of times to my shock, but this can be easily resolved. This could do a gig without a backup but I use other guitars for different sounds anyway.

This guitar was very well setup, the action was perfect, on the low side but I like that. All parts were aligned properly, the pickups were perfectly adjusted. The finish was beautiful and there were no imperfections; the neck was straight and true, for the price, I cannot fault it.

22 frets, mahogany body, rosewood fretboard, Les Paul shape (obviously), 2 Epiphone humbucker pickups, gold hardware, 3 way pickup selector, a volume an tone knob for each pickup, all finished in alpine white, a stunning looking guitar. No accesories included.