Les Paul Custom review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Custom

Purchased from: Sam Ash Music

I play mostly classic rock(led zeppelin), hard rock (Van Halen, Alice In Chains), and metal (Pantera, Ozzy). I play this guitar through a Peavey 5150 when I'm jamming, and a Marshall MG15CD when I am just playing by myself, and it sounds awesome! Except when my Marshall's gain is up to 10, which is almost never happening, there is no noise at all. You can really play anything from jazz to death metal with this guitar, and it's sounds good for every genre!

I have been playing for 2 years, and I am only 14 years old. I also have an Ibanez RG350DX, and I am thinking of selling it, for another Epiphone, maybe a Flying V! If it was stolen, I absolutley would buy it again, but maybe in white (I have it in the black). I compared it to a Gibson Les Paul Custom (not that I was willing to spend that much, but I wanted to Compare), and this one, I like just as much! The only difference is that the Gibson is heavier (better sustain), and It has better stock pickups. But I would rather have this, and put an extra $300 to get better pickups and call it a Gibson!

This guitar is fine with playing live, just change strings every couple of weeks. I play 2 hours a day, and I use D'addario XL10's, and I only change my strings every month. The hardware seems fine, but the nut is cheap looking. I want to replace it with a graphtech soon. The strap buttons were fine, but I screwed in Dunlop Strap-loks myself, and they are awesome. The finish is very nice for a solid color of a guitar, but the abrasive effect of my denim jeans make small little marks on the back, but then again, who is really looking a t the back?

The factory set-up was fine, and the pickups were good also, but I am weird, so right when I got it, I raised the bridge pickup a little bit. The Only negative thing about the factory set-up, is the 3-way selctor switch, it's became very loose, and it's really annoying when it's off to the side! Also, the binding on the body is a beautiful cream color, but the binding along the neck is more like white, it's just didn't fir the guitar, but it's still sexy!

The Epiphone Les Paul Custom is awesome! It has 22 Rosewood frets, a curved, mahogany body, and a solid finish. Though it doesnt't have a "go crazy, wailing away, in your face" tremolo system, it has a simple to use stopbar (that is locking). Besides, it is much easier to change strings with! It has "Alnico classic" pickups which I'm pretty sure are Epiphone company pickups, but don't let the name fool you, these are really good stock pickups! Unless you really, and I mean really like pinch harmonics, then you might want to swap them out for EMG's, like Zakk Wylde. For everything else, they are fine. The guitar also has a 3-way selector switch (mine is loose, but still perfect working condition), and non-locking Grover tuners. They kind of piss me off, because they seem like they don't "catch the strings". So you tune up, then make a pretty big bend, and it's almost like you pull the string right out of tune! It alright though.

SaintsinneR82
    i look at it like this,if you got the cheddar to dump on 3000+ guitar go for it...but for a guy playing for bout a year and a half...this thing treats me right....the neck is perfect the action is the way i liek it..low but jus high ENOUGH to let my pinches scream...and it looks good...sounds great thru my amp..a lil bassy,but im gonna switch out the picks for an emg active set...overall for 500 i love my guitar...
    wrighty2012
    this huitar is awesome its perfect for people who want quality performance and a killer name i own one and it blew me away against a gibson its just as good
    dr460n_n1nj4 wrote: i purchased a roughed up ebony les paul custom from a friend. when i purchased it, it had tarnished and rusted gold hardware and pickups. when playing in alternative tunings such as drop d, the pick-ups wouldnt give the full tone and would cut in and out. nearly a year after getting the les paul is amassed all chrome hardware and a dimarizio d sonic pickup. i'vve been playing my les paul with the new setup for about 4 months not and i am amazed at the difference. while the chrome hardware only changes the aesthetics of the beast, the d sonic produces an amazing tone when combined withe sustain of the les paul. i've played gibson les paul standards, and they dont hold anything up to my remastered epi. for the price, its a great guitar, throw another $150 into it on a great pickup, and it will blow any other axe away.
    I don't know about anybody else here, but this worries me because one of the greatest things about gold is that it neither rusts or tarnishes. If the gold on this guitar is doing either than it means it is not real gold. Just thought I would point that out.