Les Paul Custom review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Custom

Purchased from: Music and arts center

The sound on this guitar is heavy and full which is great for rock and metal which is aided by the emg's. I play rock, metal, classical, and jazz. It gets great jazz tones if you roll the tone of to zero on either pickup. I am using a line six spider 3 30 watt and the Boss OD-20 and SD-1. It sounds great now and is my main axe for it's thick penetrating sounds. It is ridiculously warm and rich. I can't believe how great it sounds for 600 bucks. I would not use it for country though.

Les Pauls are very versatile and I would use it for anything that needs heavy distortion or a nice clean. I would definitely replace it if it was stolen. I got it because I wanted a custom and I chose white because of Randy Rhoads. Nothing wrong with it and is a great investment.

This is a tough guitar. No scratches so far and does not dent easily. I replaced the strap buttons to Dunlop strap locks the day I got it because I wont take chances with it, so I don't know how good the buttons are and I can't tell you. I would definitely use it without a backup because unless you get mad at it and throw it out of a building, it will be fine. The finish seems fine and I don't see it fading any time soon.

The one thing wrong with this guitar (but is easily remedied) is the setup. You know how sometimes one of your frets seem like it's dead. Imagine nothing on every fret. I had to raise the action a great amount and then intonate it. The pickups were set up good but I changed the screws height for preference. No finish flaws. Nice nut height and no binding so far. The buzz may discourage any young beginners though.

My custom was built in 2007. It is the alpine white edition. It has a mahogany body and neck with rosewood fingerboard. It has binding all around the body and on the fretboard (no aesthetic flaws either. kudos to Epiphone.) Not sure what to call the finish. The pickups that come with it are passive Epiphone pickups which sounded absolutely great. I however wanted to try EMGs and slapped an 81 and 85 in. it sounds great now and if you can afford it it's a cool look and sound. It has grover tuners and holds tuning well. It has a 3 way selector for the pickups. 2 volume and 2 tone controls. It weighs about 10 pounds as well.

wrighty2012
    the pickups are only gold plated so it does make a difference the elitest is solid gold!!
    KCW1229
    is this guitar good when you play a versatile range of music> ?? caus i have a choice between this guitar , ibanez RG350dx and a fender standard strat HSS