Les Paul Custom review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Custom

Purchased from: Music123.com

I play classic rock with a twist of Randy Rhoads and I couldn't have asked for a more perfect guitar for this sound. I push everything through a Boss GT-8 and then through a 1968 Fender Princeton Tube Amp and the sound that comes through this combination is totally amazing! When on your rhythm setting with the tone knob all the way to 10 it's a little blah for me can't really hear all the strings when strumming it all just blends together and sounds kinda muddy but other than that it sounds amazing! I have played everything from country to blues, blues to rock, and rock to metal and haven't wished for another guitar any of those times this really does have an amazing sound.

I'm a big fan of Slash and Randy Rhoads I think they are amazing and this guitar couldn't be better for this style of playing! I have been Playing for about 2 years now, and I own a Boss GT-8 Multi effects pedal and a 1968 Fender Princeton Tube amp. that's my main setup my other gear is in my profile if you want to check it out. I played this guitar for weeks before I bought it I was constantly at guitar center hooking up to different amps and different pedals and trying other guitars and this is the one I fell in love with! I couldn't be happier about it! This guitar is my baby through and through I would defiantly buy another but it wouldn't have the feel as the one I have does it's been with me through a lot of different situations. But if it were stolen and I found it I'd feel sorry for the person who had it because I'd be leaving with it in my hands again! I love everything about this guitar! The only thing that could be better is the rhythm pickup on 10 for the tone I just wish it was a tiny bit brighter. my favorite feature is the treble pickup on 5 for tone I love the sound that comes from it! At the time I had an Ibanez RG350DX and this blows that guitar out of the world! I also compared it to a Epiphone '50s style and the pickups just didn't have that Les Paul crunch.

The Epiphone Les Paul Custom could be sent to hell and back and still not lose any tone what so ever! This guitar can take a beating and not even show it. With Grover tuners and alnico pickups this baby is built to last. I don't see me changing anything anytime soon. The strap buttons will keep tis guitar from falling it's a little heavy but the buttons will hold it up with out a worry! The only reason I would use a backup is for string breaks. If they made strings that wouldn't break I wouldn't ever buy another guitar! this finish has withstood hours upon hours of continuous playing and still looks Brand New the black finish does show fingerprints easily tho.

I like my action somewhat medium and that's how it comes from the factory medium and I haven't even touched it since it just feels great right out of the box! I lowered my pickups a little because they were a little to close for my liking but I have friends that have left them how they are and it still sounds great. The bridge was perfect no need to adjust that I haven't touched it to this day. Like most guitars I've had the output adapter was a little loose but that took about 2 seconds to tighten. Other than that this guitar was ready for a show right out of the box.

The Epiphone Les Paul Custom is made in Epiphone's Chinese factory. It has 22 frets with a 24.75" scale with a nut width of 1.68". The neck itself is a set mahogany neck with Rosewood-block inlays. The body is a Mahogany Body with gold hardware. It has a single thick single cutaway body which gives a sustain like no other. Like most Les Paul's this one comes with a Tune-O-Matic Bridge. This comes with 1 Volume and 1 tone for each pickup. The Pickups are 2 classic alnico humbuckers. The custom comes with Grover tuners which have only made me happy with keeping it in tune there is no slipping what'soever that I have found it came with the usual cable and a couple picks.

KenG
    GuitarHero0715 wrote: Atreyu154 wrote: Who comes into a les paul review to bitch about it being epiphone and that it isnt a ESP, Les Paul invented the electric guitar so while you praise the rest remember who layed the foundations and whether its epiphone or gibson is just a inset headstock and labour costs, As for my Custom best and only guitar i'll ever own or play. Thank you Les Paul. ur an idiot, les paul didnt make gibson, and gibson didnt even make the electric guitar, leo fender did, get your sh!t straight
    Review your history. Gibson (& Epiphone) were making Electric Guitars well before Fender even existed but they were archtop, hollow (semi-hollow) bodies. Les Paul had the idea for a solid body before anyone (remember the Log guitar??)which Gibson finally took up but I do believe it was after Fender's Broadcaster release.
    zoomzoom
    kevlarmusicmojo
    Carrot
    Kikuta wrote: I love my Silverburst Epi LP Custom
    they are sexy guitars im gettig mine soon and should i swap the pup's for some Seymour Duncan SH-6? good idea or bad idea people?
    drunkonshadows7
    punkerkid!79! wrote: no!!! dont think that way, Les Pauls are the greatest guitars on this earth!!! dont let this cheap heathen epiphone model let you down, play a Gibson..... trust me
    Hahaha! NO! It's funny how some people think. If you didn't like the epiphone man, you won't like the gibson because you have to be talking about playability over sound and they both play exactly the same, they just have god awful pickups in the epiphone! If you didn't like it try something lighter and completely different like a high quality squire where they don't have a finish on the neck, have completely different pickups and look completely different. I've always been a lp man and probably always will be! If you're a starter guitarist don't get one. If you're quite experienced you can make it sing and you won't let bad machine heads stop you either, cause any numbskull can get them replaced with this new magical thing called locking machine heads for about 20 quid! Take my advice dude try something else!
    ten_years_after
    i have a jay turser knock off and its accually quite good, for one it sounds a hell of a lot better than my neibor's strat that he payed $750 for. and also it has a better finish than the epiphone and maybe even a gibson, and it also has pearl triangle inlays on the fretboard, which i think look alot better than the usual block inlays, put some gibson pickups on it and it would be even better
    KenG
    kevlarmusicmojo wrote: i'm more of a fender guy, but epiphones are nothing compared to gibson. get that straight people. (that is, except for those hollow body casino guitars or whatever they're called)
    You should try an Elitist if you get the chance. They are very close to Gibson in all aspects except price (I have two and wouldn't trade them for only one Gibby LP!)
    Glam-Hammer
    kevlarmusicmojo : i'm more of a fender guy, but epiphones are nothing compared to gibson. get that straight people. (that is, except for those hollow body casino guitars or whatever they're called)
    the point in their existence is for people who cannot afford a Gibson, the only difference is the name and pick-ups. i have js aquired a triple-pick up ephiphone les paul custom, its awesome
    KCW1229 wrote: huh?
    jakethesnakeLP
    they are sexy guitars im gettig mine soon and should i swap the pup's for some Seymour Duncan SH-6? i like the deeper sound that you get out of the guitar, but if you like brghter, thinner tone, then swap em. good idea or bad idea people?
    KCW1229
    well thing is that price change with the AUD onand USD hasnt kicked in aussie yet lol
    KenG
    Quality of materials affects the sound. Standard EPI's have cheaper pickups and tonewoods aren't the highest quality. They are good guitars but you can't expect miracles for $500-600.00. Musical Instrument markup is at least 40% unless things have changed since I worked in a Music Store. That means a guitar selling for $500.00 was sold by the Manufacturer to the Dealer for under $300.00. By the time you subtract the costs of even cheap hardware & pickups there isn't much left to use expensive woods and pay for labour as well as make a profit. That being said, a novice or beginner is still getting an instrument that will sound good, stay in tune and allow their playing to grow till they are ready for a serious investment.
    KCW1229
    whats wrong with epiphone... its just the quality of material used (compared to a gibson) isnt it:>??? does the sound really sound different?
    KenG
    zoomzoom wrote: dude people say epiphone is close to gibson but its really not at all. not to offend anyone, but epiphones are sh!t, especially compared to gibson. The epi pickups suck ass and the feel of the neck is so cheap it doesnt even feel like wood (most models). Just save up a bit more and buy a freekin gibson...
    You are obviously basing your opinion on Chinese Epiphones. If you ever get a chance to try an Elitist (Japanese version) Les Paul Iseriously suggest you give it a try. It is nothing like the standard EPi and has Gibson US made pickups not Epiphone Korean/Chinese ones. I've played "real" Gibsons and for less than 1/2 the price an Elitist would fool anyone with a blindfold on.
    JoeFro
    Ive got one of those, but its Ebony. It only cost me 500 bucks on eBay and the guitar was in perfect condition.
    J.J.G.
    jthm_guitarist wrote: joe516:One of the tone knobs came off as well, but thats a 5 second super glue job. UMMM... how will you ever take it off EVER?
    yeah you are aware that the tone knobs are ment to spin and not being stuck right?
    Hart_Attack
    strat? no, go for the ibanez RG350dx since it can go down the heavy side, unlike the Hss.. you get a good amount of hum like a regular strat.
    bokuho
    KCW1229 wrote: is this guitar good when you play a versatile range of music> ?? caus i have a choice between this guitar , ibanez RG350dx and a fender standard strat HSS
    The HSS Strat will be slightly more versatile. I always argue though that an LP with a little bit of modding (namely, a coil-tap option/swtich on the neck pickup) becomes more versatile than an HSS.
    Ali-b912
    KenG wrote: KCW1229 wrote: huh? When I look at Musician's Friend Website the EPI Standard LPs run from 400 -600 USD. Apparently an Australian Dollar is very close to a USD (0.97 or so). That means the EPI should only cost slightly more there not double the price. 1299 AUD should buy you an Elitist series.
    yeah but import costs are a *****. epi's have to go to he USA for QC before they come here. hence epi's have crap QC. if they would ship them via japan for QC they would kick ass.