Les Paul Custom review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Custom

Purchased from: Local Music Shop

I play most styles ranging from classic rock to country, and it is fantastic for the rock stuff. Not great for cleaner stuff, but that may be my amp. I found the stock pickups fed back way too much when it was up loud so I had 1950's Gibson Burstbuckers put on and it sounds fantastic. At 120 each they were very expensive, but if you plan to keep the guitar for a long time then this is a great idea.

Overall with the Gibson pickups and some playing in its a great guitar. I would really miss it if it was gone. I love the way it looks and the way it feels to play, and the fact it's a budget Gibson! A great guitar that I would recommend to anyone. P.s. these things are really heavy! If you are getting one, get a good padded strap. Makes the world of difference.

Here is where we run into problems. The strap button came out within a few months, and is coming loose again now. The electronics are pretty bad to be brutially honest - the stock pickups weren't very good when played loud, and the tone knobs are very "digital" in the sense that they are either all the way up or all the way down. There is no real half way house. My input jack is done too after 3 years of playing which is very annoying. It is only a 15 replacment, but it is hassle that I could do without. Having said that all these problems can be fixed, and when you think about it you pretty much have a Gibson for a fraction of the price, so a few annoyances is a small compramise.

Set up fine with no dents, scratchesor anything. The "made in Korea" badge was a sticker which comes right off which was much to my liking. Nice action, I use 10s on it and it plays really good. Finish is very durable, have knocked it a few times and no visible damage at all.

My guitar is a 2006 Epiohone Les Paul Custom, made in Korea. 22 frets, mahogany body, ebony fingerboard, and gold hardware. It certainly does look the part - you get all the binding and the fancy logo on the headstock. Grover machine heads paired with a tune-o-matic bridge keep it in tune all the time, never had any issues with that. However I noticed the gold hardware (more specufically the stop bar) have started to tarnish. Not a big deal to me as I like guitars that look "used", but if you like your guitars looking mint all the time then you may want to consider replacing some of it.

robster711
    Triv_fan_123 wrote: i think epiphone is better than gibson. gibson is more of an icon now. just a status symbol.
    well said
    metalicizer
    There's a lot of epi vs. gibson going on and I've got to tell you, gibson isn't as grand as people think. i've played both brands and didn't notice any outstanding qualities in gibson. I personally own two epiphone guitars, and plan on getting a third soon.