Les Paul Custom review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Custom

Purchased from: Guitar Villa Quakertown, PA

Its got that chunky low rich sound that you'd expect for a two humbucker guitar. I run through a Vox VT30, which is a nice budget amp for those of you guitaristas in the middle of the price range, and can achieve a myriad of tones. I love backing off the tone and volume on the neck, switching to both humbuckers, and running with a crunchy yet lite sound. I wish the guitar had a little more variety, but hey. Thats what four lead humbuckers are made for. It is gonna be a nice piece of work when I can afford to Switch out the humbuckers to mod the guitar. Not that it isn't a nice one now.

I play anything from Classic rock to nineties grunge, and this guitar makes a great match. I've been playing for a few years, and I moved out of the bedroom about four years ago. If this guitar were stolen, I might hesitate to buy it again simply because I bought the original at 1 buck, but I probably would. The only thing that I hate about this guitar is that I play a Les Paul Ultra II at the same time, and getting used to not having the tummy routing is one annoying road. But, then again, its not the guitar's fault that his brother got Lipo now, is it?

I have dropped this guitar more than its fair share of times. It essentially bounces. My brother sat on it the other day, leading to a crack in one of the tone knobs, but it still works; no structural damage whatsoever. I would never gig without a backup, I've had technical problems with guitars before, but this one feels like it could take the heat. I changed out the strap buttons almost immediately, so I can't really say anything for them. And the finish... Oh my. I wish it would wear down a little so people would believe I actually use this as my #1 right now.

I got this guitar straight from the store, and made the mistake of not playing it before walking out with it. This mistake, however, was not the end of the world. The action was good right out of the case, nothing too bad with the paint. All I needed to do was take the pick guard off the guitar and we were ready to roll.

Firstly, yes. I did buy this guitar for 1 dollar. The actual price was 800, but I bought it during the best guitar sale on the planet. Party on Wayne! Its got your Standard 22 frets, and a silverburst paint job, which is amazing from afar. Mine's a factory 2nd with a little defect which isn't noticeable at all. Mahogany body, cream colored binding, chrome hardware. Grover tuners, Tune-o-Matic bridge, two humbucking pickups, four knobs. Two tone two volume. The works.

shotgunsteve93
    Triv_fan_123 wrote: i think epiphone is better than gibson. gibson is more of an icon now. just a status symbol.
    Epiphones are definitely the best guitar you can get for the money. I own both an Epiphone SG and Les Paul, but they are not better than a Gibson. There is just something about a Gibson that feels right.