Les Paul Custom review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Custom

Purchased from: Ebay

I play virtually everything, got this hoping to make sound as versatile as possible. I use this with a Vox AC15 amp with Celestion Greenback speaker. The pickups are dead quiet, no hum, but they are a bit muffled sounding to me. Am assuming these pickups are Alnico II, thus they will not be as bright as say, Alnico V. Am strongly thinking of replacing the pickups soon. Neck pickup has little definition in most applications, bridge pickup seems a little more defined and clearer.

This guitar looks great! Will be making some mods to it to make it a true player, is a great platform to work with! Own a couple of Fenders (Tele and Strat) and another Epiphone Sheraton. If this were stolen, would probably get an older model, preferably from Korea, those are virtual steals. I love the looks the most about this axe, the things I dislike the most are the action (need to get it lower) and the pickups, esp. The neck. Is a bit muddy for me, will remedy that later.

Am a bit leery about how this one will hold up, have seen many of these models with the headstock snapped on them! Will handle this axe with kid gloves if I ever take her on stage! Will probably need a pickup switch over time, hardware seems alright overall. Have straploks, so it will not fall during a somersault (hopefully!). I would bring a backup with this guitar, just in case. Finish looks good on this axe, that is one of the main selling points for me!

Well, as far as defects, the most noticeable is the tone knobs, both are wobbly when you turn them, is no real big deal. It needed a setup really bad, intonation was horrible. Now that it has had a pro setup, sounds a lot better. Wood quality is good, again, this guitar is the lightest mahogany guitar I have ever owned, and I have had a lot! Pickup switch seems sturdy, some minor oxidation of the gold plating on Tune-O-Matic and tuners, but looks kinda cool to me.

This Epiphone LP Custom was made in China, 2008. It has 22 frets, and a pretty chunky neck on it that feels pretty decent. I believe this one is solid mahogany wood, and is Alpine White. Is very light for a guitar of this build, just over 8 pounds. Has two Alnico classic pickups. Lots of gold plated stuff on here, only a hint of plating wearing off on bridge.

MaggaraMarine
    (Review by Corle) Pros: Amazing actions, Best pickups ever
    If it has the same Epiphone pickups than my (sold) Epi LP Std (that I think it has), they were pretty weak pickups. Though your review says it has Gibson pickups but I doubt it. They may be Gibson designed but I don't think they equip these guitars with real Gibson pickups as stock pickups. But I didn't find the Epi pickups great. They were good for start but after buying my Charvel with Dimarzio pickups there was no comparison. Charvel sounded much better.
    Mr E Meat
    I did not enjoy mine after a while. The neck pickup was good for cleans but the bridge pickup couldn't do anything harder than classic rock, just sounded anemic and weak. The laminated neck is super slow and I couldn't bring myself to shave off the finish to undo that. The weight isn't that annoying if you're playing sitting down but jam with a band while standing up for 3 or 4 hours and you will be BEAT. I don't know what gibson les pauls are like but if they're anything like this I don't think I'll ever even consider owning one.