Les Paul Custom Blackback Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 03/20/2014 category: Electric Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Epiphone: Les Paul Custom Blackback
This must be on of the best guitars out there if you like the Les Paul model and specially the Custom
 9.5

- Neck Joint: Glued-in, set neck
- Truss Rod: Adjustable
- Scale Length: 24.75
- Fingerboard Material: Rosewood
- Fingerboard Radius: 12"
- Frets: 22 Medium jumbo
- Binding: 7-layer body front and back, 5-layer headstock, 1-layer fingerboard
- Machine Heads: Grover 16:1 ratio
- Colors: Alpine White
- Warranty Epiphone Limited Lifetime // 10

Sound: I play everything from blues, country and rock. This guitar just eats it all! I have used both a Vox AC15 Special Edition and Hughes & Kettner Trilogy 4x12 Stack. The pickups are very silent - makes no noise (as you would expect from humbuckers). I have a Gibson Les Paul Studio from 2003 and this is the only "back to back" comparison I have made and this Epiphone is a lot better in build quality and when it comes to sound quality it actually is a whole lot better then the Studio as well... which is so crazy but I guess I just payed for the name Gibson on that guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The Setup was great! I bought from a good musician how just was a "Strat man" and decided to not keep it so he probably made a great setup. Intonation was perfect and so was the action. Since i bought it used I would not know how it was set up new... but mine was perfect! The looks and finish is flawless, no imperfections at all - I couldn't tell that it was "just an Epiphone." The pickups are in my opinion great! They actually sound a lot better than my Gibson Les Paul Studio. I honestly thought it was impossible to get a guitar for under 300 dollars that felt like 2000 dollars... If you can live with the "Epiphone" logo then you are in for a great lifetime of playing without having to spend a fortune! // 10

Reliability & Durability: It seems like it´s built like a tank (just like the few Gibson Les Paul Custom I have played). The guitar feels really dependable, it stays in tune and like I wrote before - it's built like a tank and seems to manage a world war... The only thing I have read is that the Gold will probably fade away. But for a guitar that is about 1/10 of the price of the "Original" I think I can live with that. I would definitely play this in live situations and I trust it fully for a lifetime! I can't be more clear about this - this is a guitar that has no flaws, the setup was perfect and it seems like it will last forever. // 10

Overall Impression: Bottom line is that this must be on of the best guitars out there if you like the Les Paul model and specially the Custom which I do. Maybe I was lucky and got a GREAT example but to be honest I couldn't really sell this now for even 1000 dollars since I would probably have to buy a Gibson for about 2000 to get the same quality, feel and sound. Now there will probably be some Gibson fans that will think I am an idiot (hey I am a Gibson fan too, I own a Hummingbird and a Les Paul Studio) but to be honest, besides the possibility of buying a collectible Gibson Les Paul Custom, why would you pay that kind of money when a guitar like this is available? // 10

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ Les Paul Standard 8.6 Electric Guitars 01/25/2016
+ Les Paul Black Beauty 8.8 Electric Guitars 01/08/2016
+ Matt Heafy Les Paul Custom-7 8 Electric Guitars 11/18/2015
+ Ltd. Ed. Brendon Small "Thunderhorse" Explorer 7.2 Electric Guitars 10/28/2015
+ Goth 1958 Explorer 8.4 Electric Guitars 10/17/2015