Les Paul Custom Midnight Limited Edition review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Custom Midnight Limited Edition

Purchased from: Gallins Guitars

The EMG-81s are made for heavy music, and they do they job better than any other guitar I've played. Don't be turned off it if you're into soft stuff though - set your amp to clean and select the bridge pickup for some sweet clean, crisp sounds. I'm currently using this bad boy with a Zoom G2 pedal as well as a Roland Cube30x and a Marshall Valvestate 100. Both of these amps sound beautiful with it. I've also used this with a Fender FM65R as well as a Vox Valvetronix. Due to the nature of the active pickups, no matter what volume I play at, or where I stand, there is very little/no buzzing or feedback.

I play everything from heavy metal to soft rock, and jazz etc. This guitar fits every genre extremely well, even though the pickups are made mainly for metal. If you are a metal fan of any kind, this guitar would be your dream. I also own a Fender Stratocaster, a Squier Bullet Strat and an Epiphone SG. This guitar beats any of my others. If it were stolen or I lost it, I'd cut my wrists, since this guitar is a limited edition and you'd be pretty hard done by to find the same one again. I compared this to a Gibson Les Paul Standard, a Gibson Les Paul Custom, an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, and some random Ibanez guitars. This guitar matched the sound and feel of both Standards, and came very close to the sound of the Gibson Custom, but for a quarter of the price! As you can probably tell, I am in love with this guitar, and I don't think it'll ever leave my side.

I would definately use this guitar for gigging. It just feels so comfortable and the sounds it can give out are amazing. I would be very surprised if any of the hardware on this guitar give out anytime soon; it's made very well. The strap buttons are very solid and, with vigorous testing, they haven't moved at all. I doubt one would need this guitar with a backup for gigging. It's sound range would be hard to beat and it's extremely reliable. There is no chance the finish will wear off. The only way you would be able to mark it if it were to hit a hard object pretty forcefully, but avoid that and you'll be fine.

Everything about the setup was good (except for tuning of course). I did not have to adjust anything but the pickups, which were a little loose, but a quick job with the screwdriver and my problems were solved. There were no obvious flaws, and when I first got it I spent an hour or two playing it and looking for any flaws that I may have missed. None were found. This guitar was set up great.

What an amazing axe. 22 frets, pearl inlays, ebony colour with a white trim. Everything about this guitar is black, pretty much, inluding the machine heads. Obviously the classic Les Paul style body, but without the pickguard, which in my eyes is the only bad thing about a normal Les Paul. Tune-O-Matic bridge, with 2 active EMG-81 pickups. The pickups are what make this guitar so amazing. There is a 3-way selector, and volume/tone for each pickup.

sg4ever
    If it stays in tune and it sounds good through a good amp then it's just fine. Don't get hung up over the details.
    Joel.
    sg4ever, once your tonal ear develops a bit more, you'll realize why you need to get "hung up" over the details.
    Warthchild13
    I bought this guitar in the weekend. I can't understand how it is a limited edition, because I'm amazed I can buy one here in New Zealand in 2008. I read somewhere on the net they only made 500 of them in 2005. It's now Feb 2007...maybe they decided to make more of them? Regardless it's a fantastic sounding guitar, and I'm really looking forward to playing and improving on it
    roosterfx1
    has anyone seen the new les paul prophecy custom? it looks even nicer than this. and thats saying something.
    Ligeress
    Hi I am buying a guitar for my husband, and am thinking of going with the Epiphone Les Paul Custom Midnight Edition. Is this a versatile guitar? I think he would want to play rock (moderate to heavy) but also some melodic clean solo stuff. Would this be the guitar I should get? Please help!!
    Nirvani
    Wow, I saw this in the shop last year and fell in love with it when I tried it. But I couldn't afford it at the time. Now that I have the money I can't find it anywhere! Is it discontinued?
    whencowsfart101
    timi_hendrix wrote: henza_x wrote: epiphones are better the LTDs LTDs are just the bitch to the ESP as epiphones are the bitch to gibson, difference being gibson make the REAL les pauls and REAL SGs and everyone else copies LTDs are made of superior materials, have better build quality, and better pickup combinations than this guitar. Gibson fanboys for the looooose.
    Agreed. Many famous artists use LTD and there are many LTD signature models. Slash is the only artist I can call to mind who has an Epiphone signature model. Pros use LTDs because they play, sound and look better than Epiphones or Gibsons. I'm not affiliated in any way with LTD btw.
    CleanCanvas
    ive owned this guitar for a year now, its great but For some reason i want more. I want a trem bridge, i want 24 frets and i want it to be little bit lighter. This would probably be awesome for many people. But be wary about those things. DEFINITELY try a schecter or a esp or ibanez first before u buy this
    plemberton
    I have this guitar and I love the tone. I can understand some people not liking it as the neck is thick and some prefer a faster necks for their sytle , maybe shredding etc (i know slash and mr wylde use it). You can get fast on this, just practice. Took me a little so set up but was OK! Higher frets again are not shredder friendly, but so what. I don't know about all these epiphone horror stories but it's built really well. I like the tension of Slinky not so even strings, tuned down half.