Les Paul Custom Plus review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Custom Plus

I play a wide range of music ranging from rocking up rap/r&b/pop songs to Post-Hardcore and Metal stuff. This guitar originally could not handle that range of music but that was quickly solved with a change in pickups as well as a couple of new pedals. I use a lot of different distortion effects with this guitar (depending on the genre of music) but its mostly my Boss MT-2, Marshall Jackhammer, Catalinbread Teaser Stallion and Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret. This guitar sounds good with all these distortions and the wide versatality is definitely a plus for me. Different gigs give me different amps but so far everything has been ok for me. This guitar (with its stock pickups) has a rather full sound which is warm, typical of les pauls. Its not noisy and there are no feedbacks coming from the guitar unless I do something ridiculously stupid. However, the pickups are quite muddy, thus I changed the bridge pickup but I'm sticking with the neck pickup because its what I like. This guitar (with its stock pickups) has a range from poprock to rock and maybe a little metal but for hard crunching tones this guitar would be mediocre with it.

I play a wide range of styles of music as stated above and this guitar can potentially be a good match, with a few changes here and there, it definitely will match my playing style. This guitar is also comfortable to play with due to its neck and I enjoy it as my hands do hurt when I play with other guitars, especially for long gigs. I have been playing for awhile now and I've owned many other heavy rock/metal guitars such as ESPs, Schecters and B.C Rich, but this one so far is my favourite due to comfortability and tone wise. If this was stolen or lost, I would use everything I have to find it back as this is really a good guitar. If not, I would buy another one though its not cheap, compared to the Les Paul Standards and Studios. What I love about this guitar is the tone, the finish, and basically everything about it What I hate about this guitar would be the minor things that I had to fix. If not, this would be the perfect guitar for me. My favourite feature about this guitar is the Golden Hardware. Makes me feel a little bit more special about myself. I did not compare this with other products as I had always wanted to get myself a Les Paul for the longest time. The only other Les Pauls that I had tried would be the Les Paul Standard as well as the Les Paul Studio. This guitar would be similar to the Standard and slightly more tone compared to the Studio.

This guitar is a little heavy compared to a lot of guitars but the Les Paul tone that I am getting makes up for it. This guitar looks strong enough to hold through a lot of torture and I'll definitely be safe using this guitar without a backup. The Hardware oxidises more slower compared to nickle and chrome hardwares, thus I like it. The strap buttons however are not solid and I would be pretty careful with this guitar. Maybe its just me but yeah...

The guitar was generally well set up when I bought it. The only problem from the guitar was that one of the strap nuts were loose and so the guitar nearly fell as the nut broke off. That was quickly fixed up when I next sent it for a set up. The pickups were well adjusted but for me, it was a little too low. It took only 20 seconds to readjust it so no problem. This guitar is basically there for looks, with gold hardware and Mother of Pearl Block inlays, thus it can't really compare much to a lot of other guitars for sound but its been perfectly fine for me so far. The bridge is well routed and the action suits me for this guitar, however, the only problem with this guitar is that the strap button broke off too soon (almost a month after I bought it, no serious gigging done yet) and that the bridge was a little oxidised when I got it. However, the guitar body didn't contain any flaws yet and its been a great gigging guitar for me for quite awhile. The only few problems in this guitar would be the loose tuning grover pegs (which were solved in a matter of minutes), the noisy pickup selector (which somehow happens to me with every guitar that passed through me so I'm fine) and one of the Tone control knobs which is a bit more counter-clockwise spun compared to the rest of the control knobs (solved in minutes too).

This Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus was made in China, 2006. It has a U-Shaped set neck with 21 Jumbo Frets. The scale is 24.75" and the neck is made up of Mahogany with Rosewood Fretboard along with Mother Of Pearl block inlays. Along with Multiple bindings, this guitar has a flamed maple top with a very nice sunburst finish. The Body wood is Mahogany with a Flamed Maple Top while the Neck wood is Mahongany with Rosewood fretboarding. The body style is, as the name implies, the classic Les Paul shape. The Bridge is a Fixed Tune-O-Matic bridge with a gold plated stopbar tailpiece. The Pickups are gold plated passive Epiphone Stock Alnico Classic Humbucking pickups. Like all other Les Paul guitars, this one comes with two volume control knobs (one for each pickup), and two tone controls (one for each pickup again). Also, it has a 3-way selector Switch to change between the two pickups. I modified the guitar by adding coil tap feature afterwards. The pickup configuration is the classic Les Paul H-H comfiguration, with two gold plated Epiphone Stock Alnico Classic Humbuckers. The tuners are golden plated non-locking Grover machine heads which are personally, really good. When I got this guitar, it came with a Hardcase as well as a really short Epiphone strap, which I gave away.

Kikoia
    This is such an awesome guitar...really disappointed they discontinued it.
    owlinthewoods
    i have a les paul custom plus I code,korean made,assembled in the u.s. gibson alnico's stock. evidently there were several different types of these being distributed EE for china,I for korea,with the korean assembled in the u.s.,evidently with different stock hardware, the I codes were more expensive,i know that,then all custom plus have been discontinued,no more new ones to be had. why is it dissappointing they d/c the guitar, it makes our worth more,and it has excellent write ups all over the world depending on which type. why anybody wanna buy one, i may let mine go for 1,600.00 or so being a I code with stock gibson alnicos and grover tuners
    owlinthewoods
    it is a pile of mess saying these at least I codes dont sound the same as gibson les pauls, i have played this with les paul customs,and 67 flying v's, the alnicos scream,and it has a really romping bottom end also,may be you just dont play well, huh? oh well what can i say,at the time this was the top of the line,and I code was sold with gibson hardwire,not epiphone hardwire o.k. so it sounds as good as any gibson does and plays just as well also,stop bragging,these will catch the value of a run of the mill gibson now very fast,they have been made a special guitar depending on maker code, o.k.
    SMTHSCN
    ZoxRoxMySox wrote: o man i love the epiphone les paul. i have a old and its soooo sweet. the only thing i dont like bout it is that it does not stay in tune
    Try buying some grover tuners or check there isn't an issue with the nut. Sometimes the strings bind with the nut, and easy way around this issue is to just put some pencil lead in the groove! I've got grover tuners on mine, and it stays in tune like nobody's business!
    Billy Bobking
    Epiphones are not copies in fact the first les paul was made epiphone parts les paul convinced gibson to save epiphone who for many years was their main competitor. Korean epiphones have Gibson on truss rod cover and have a maker code of I or U. The Korean mad epiphones are of better quality and made from better quality woods easily rival a gibson usa made guitar. The traditional constriction of les paul guitar is made from 2 piece body and two piece top the china made epiphones are made from multiple pieces that range from 3 to 5 pieces and hidden by a veneer on their top allowing for a more for cheaper and less desirable wood to be used covered by a nice looking veneer. Korean epiphones don't and have solid tops famed or plain. To further reduce cost epiphone has also been using multiple pieces of wood on body of their guitars also hidden by African mahogany veneer. See this picture of a cross sectional cut of Korean made epiphone guitar dose this maple and African mahogany look bad to you ? http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k531/SJM47/Custommaplecap.jpg The reason for shifting production from Korea to china was purely cost driven reasons and not to achieve higher quality. Korean guitars today command the same price as usa made guitars (including gibson ) and Japanese made guitars. the premier Korea manufacture unsung (u maker coder) is even still used by epiphone today to make their higher end artist guitars. As for the muddiness of the pickups that is easily solved with a correct setup and raising the pole pieces of the pickups, problem solved. here the sound of epiphone classic humbuckers used in this guitar but in a les paul royal in the video
    the bottom line is this Korean epiphones rightly so commend a higher price tag than a china made epiphone, this dosent however mean the china made epiphones are bad at all, there very good guitars just not as good as epiphone Korean years. If you find a Korean buy it if you find chin made buy it weather korean or china made their a steal. also WATCHOUT!!! these guitars have been discontinued and are highly sortafter they are very rare epiphone didn't make a lot of them, somewere in 100, so much so that the fakers are trying their hand at making them, they have been discontinued since 2008 so any guitar that pre ports a serial number after 2008 (usually 2010) is a fake, they also have huge binding around the headstock, not the small binding you expect on a gibson or epiphone guitar.