Les Paul Custom Pro review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Custom Pro

When I played in a band, I played mostly metal. Not death metal. Not metalcore. Just metal. Think the heavier side of Dream Theater, with Cky mixed in. I only ever played RG's during those years, primarily an Ibanez RG1570, which is kind of a "metal" guitar. Anyway, this guitar could definitely handle what I played. When I'm at home, I'll play anything. Journey, Children Of Bodom, Paul Gilbert, John Mayer. Whatever. I like a lot of different music. I could probably use it to play any of it - because of the coil tap feature. I can get the humbucker sounds for the metal, and get a single coil sound for any Eric Clapton songs I may play. I'm using a pretty simple set up. Its a Maxon OD9 and an MXR Carbon copy into a Mesa Boogie F100 w/ B-52 4x12 cabinet. I just crank up the gain a little bit on the OD9 to make up for the lower output pickups this guitar has, and its ready to go! It is slightly noisy when you use the coil tap, but that's to be expected. Its got a great warm, thick sound. I'm really digging it.

I walked into Guitar Center just to kill time. I had no intentions, nor did I even want a guitar. So for me to walk out with this, it had to be a great guitar. I love it. I'm so glad I bought it. I haven't put it down since I brought it home. I played it for about 30 minutes in the store when I was demoing it. It just felt natural. This is way different than any other guitar I've ever owned. I've owned several Ibanez RG's and Fender Strats. So this is much different in sound and feel than the others. I love the coil tap, and the pickups! They sound great and I'm glad I have the option of the 2 sounds. I've been playing for 9 years and I've played so many different styles during that time. I could see myself playing all them with this guitar. This is the cheapest guitar I've ever bought, and I would put it up with my other ones that I paid $1000+ for. No joke. I think its that great. Maybe I just got a really good one, but you should definitely play one if you get the chance!

Being that I've never played an LP style guitar before, there was a few things I noticed. I saw there were some minor dings in the pickup covers. I've never used pickups with the covers on them before, so I don't know if they're all susceptible to dents and stuff, or if I just got a bad one. Pretty disappointing though considering the amount of play it probably gets at guitar center. I did replace the strap buttons with a DiMarzio cliplock, so I can't comment on those. As far as withstanding playing live, I think it could. I play pretty aggressively - and I never even knock it out of tune. But in my experience, you should never gig without a backup, regardless of how great you think your guitar is.

The silverburst finish is what drew me to this guitar initially. Its awesome. They make this guitar in black and alpine white, but I definitely liked this finish the best. Everything was great right of the shelf. I did adjust the action, but only slightly.

This is a 2012 model Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro. This is in a limited edition Silverburst finish. Here's a quick run down of the features: - Body Material: Mahogany - Top Material: Maple Veneer - Neck Material: Mahogany - Neck Shape: 1960's SlimTaper; D profile - Neck Joint: Glued In - Truss Rod: Adjustable - Scale Length: 24.75" - Fingerboard Material: Rosewood with mother-of-pearl BLOCK inlays - Neck Pickup: Epiphone ProBucker-2; 4-wire - Bridge Pickup: Epiphone ProBucker-3; 4-wire - Controls: Epiphone All-metal 3-way Pickup Selector, Neck Pickup Volome with push/pull coil-tapping, Bridge Pickup Volume with push/pull coil-tapping, Neck Pickup Tone, Bridge Pickup Tone - Binding: Body Top - 5 ply (White/Black), Body Back - 5 ply (White/Black), Fingerboard - 1 ply (White), Headstock - 5 ply (White/Black), Body - 1ply (cream) - Fingerboard Radius: 12" - Frets: 22; medium-jumbo - Bridge: LockTone Tune-o-matic/Stopbar - Nut Width: 1-11/16" - Hardware: Nickel - Machine Heads: Grover Tuners; 14:1 ratio

RoadRunner939
    Thanks for the review, as I am thinking of buying one of these myself (Lefty version Ebony black).
    chitownmike
    Any of the LP 'Pro's can switch the humbucker to single coils. These are pretty guitars, and great deals. I had one for a few years. The only knock i have is the stock pickups. I got burstbuckers and it made an incredible difference. Not sure if you can split those to single coils or not, though. Great looking LP.
    Slipknot101.0
    whats the difference between normal custom and custom pro? i'm going to get and ebony custom, but now i want to know the difference
    CkY freak
    I hear you man. Like I said, i played a guitar IDENTICAL to the one I bought, and it didnt play well at all. Thats why I question the consistency of epiphone guitars. Maybe I just got a really exceptional one.
    Gui_Lux
    I tried one, but didn't like it. Strings almost touching the frets and dull pickups. Maybe it was one of the bad ones...
    nikkolakis
    Amazing and beautiful guitar! I have one my self not 2012 model ,and it sounds great!
    CkY freak
    Thanks guys for the kind words! I tried to be as informative as I could. I highly recommend just trying one. I dont know what the consistency is on these though. I played a les paul custom (not a pro) in this same finish, and this guitar was MILES better than the other one. It played, and sounded a lot better. I either got a really good one, or the other one may have been a fluke. Either way, its a great guitar for the money. Also a quick note - I got this guitar ON SALE. I think its regularly $599 in this finish.
    syringe
    I just picked this and an ej-200ce/n acoustic, loving epiphone for stepping up with better product. The LP is really nice but the tone coming from the pickups is really nice but am on the fence if I want to replace it with emg 81/85r (so i cant still coil tap)
    BradTheBluefish
    Epiphone quality went down when the costs of everything went up. Instead of raising their prices in order to keep the same quality of higher end Epiphones, they decided to lower the quality and keep the price the same.