Les Paul Junior review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Junior

Purchased from: A friend's brother, with amp.

Well, with buzz and distortion and stink and crunch it sounds good, which is good because I play metal (death metal). When you try to make it sound clean with the amp I got with it you fail, no matter who you are. If Randy Rhoades came back from the dead he would say, "Wow, that amp really sucks unless the gain is at 10 and the tone on the guitar is all the way up". If you play metal, good, if you play anything else, you're out of luck. I tried it on a Marshall one time and it sounded decent, but not as good as my new axe. It gets a 3 because it's a dirty girl.

This was my first guitar and I still love it. As crappy as I think it is now since I've played better, I thought for 5 months until I got my new guitar and amp that the only reason it sounded bad was me and my lack of talent. It pushed me to sound better and I sound good on that piece of crap now. As a first guitar for someone who knows nothing about care or maintainence or pickups or strings, it's a good choice. Especially if they like metal. Well, only if they like metal. I wouldn't use it now, but it was a nice introduction to Les Pauls.

This is the only area I like it in. I dropped it a few weeks ago and it still worked. Then I did it again 4 times and it was fine. Well, it didn't sound worse. It was already 4 years old when I got it and had sat in a basement for all but 10 hours of that time. I bet it would withstand live playing for a while, I've been playing for 6 months and I don't think I'm ready to find out yet. Strap buttons are fine, I wouldn't use it without a backup because I'm paranoid. After dropping it the finish is cracked as well. It gets a 5 because it's a tough old bird that may not be able to soar, but it can get off the ground.

It seems like it was made in a rush, the pickup is a piece of crap as well. I tried something one time: I turned off all the electronics in my room and the room next to mine, then let-a-rip. The buzz was still there, but not bad enough to make me grind my teeth. Then the electronics came on and the damn thing sounded like there was a swarm of bees in the room. I blame this half on the amp since the guitar still buzzes with my Peavy Transtube 112 EFX. Also, the tuning pegs are loose, and the tone knob fell off. It gets a 3 for effort.

- Made in indonesia - 22 frets - Rosewood fretboard - really junky finish - 1 tone, 1 volume control - 1 humbucker that sucks and doesn't buck hums at all - Very loose tuners that are too close together. I bought it with a Brownsville 10G practice amp, a gig bag that has held up well, a decent strap with a shoulder pad, a cheap cable, some extra strings and a stand for 90 dollars, so the price was what sold me. I would have paid up to 120 for the guitar with all that equipment in hindsight, but not more. It was 4 years old when I bought it in June 2004 and played for a total of 8 hours by it's previous owner.