Les Paul Junior review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Junior

I pretty much play everything, from reggae to funk to hard rock and I guess this guitar sounds decent all around. While I find it best suited for anything that uses powerchords and heavy distortion, the clean sound isn't that bad. I gotta tell you though, the pickup buzzes way more than it should. Furthermore, the lack of a neck pickup really limits your versatility, but what can you expect for such a low price? By the way, I've been using my Fender 15-watt practice amp, so maybe that's why it buzzes. Though my other guitars sound fine on it.

Overall, you really have to see this guitar for what it is a bargain guitar. It's affordable, so it'd make a great beginner guitar, gift, or whatnot. It's good for music that uses lots of distortion and looks kinda cool (I have the black one). However, if you're serious about playing I'd recommend you save a little more for a guitar with more features like a Strat, SG, or Les Paul. Other than that, for the money, you can't beat it.

While this guitar is durable and probably would be able to handle live playing, I probably wouldn't use it live mainly because everyone would laugh at me for using a 99 dollar guitar at a gig. Aside from the embarrasment factor, the strap buttons seem solid enough and everything seems built to last. If I had to bring this to a gig, I'd probably use it as my last last backup, for when my backup guitar needs a backup. In fact, you should never gig without a backup. Better to be safe than sorry.

The factory set up was alright I guess, except for maybe the pickup. The finish was so-so and always attracts fingerprint smudges. The action seemed fine for me. However, since this guitar is so cheap, I wouldn't bother spending much for a good setup. Also, the thing I really hate the most about this guitar has got to be the finish on the neck. It feels like it's painted and tends to stick to my hand, consequently making the neck not quite as fast as I'd like it to be.

When it comes to features, this guitar isn't all that great. Mine was made in China (I think), has 22 frets, a single P90 bridge pickup, 1 tone knob, 1 volume knob, a wrap-around (not sure what to call it) style bridge, a tonewood body, standard tuners, and perhaps a rosewood fingerboard, but I'm not quite sure. Not many features. But then again, you can't really complain since it's such an inexpensive guitar.