Les Paul Junior review by Epiphone

• Reviewer's score: 5.8 Decent
Epiphone: Les Paul Junior

Purchased from: Swee Lee Music Company

It suits me as I play mostly rock, punk (MCR, Green Day). You can also crank up the distortion, as it will do the job for some heavy stuff, but obviously the results are not as good as Ibanez or some other better guitars. I use it with a Laney LG12, a 20w amp. No effects or pedals used, but sound nice. It sounds decent on the clean channel as well. It is noisy with the stock cable provided, but once I changed to a planet waves cable, the noise disappeared.

I have been playin for 3 years, and have another Yamaha classical guitar. If stolen or lost, I will save for another guitar. I wished it had more pickups. I wished I asked for the Epi LP Special II as it had another humbucker for 20 bucks extra. This is because I was anxious to get a electric guitar.

I think it will withstand Live playing, but only after you change the strap buttons or get strap-loks, as the strap will keep falling off. For me, I bought the planet lock strap and the problem is solved. I will not use it on a gig without a backup as it can't provide wide variety of tones. I think this axe will last with good maintainance and care.

It was well set up as I bought a display unit. The action was low, just nice for my liking. The pickups had wax on the sides of it. It had some scratches on the pickguard, so I managed to get some price cut on that. Otherwise, it's playable once I got it out of the bag.

Most probably made this year ('07), it's made in China. It has 22 frets, a rosewood fretboard. Solid top, with a Vintage sunburst finish. It has a tune o matic bridge, which you can put almost any string gauge on it without adjusting much. It has an open humbucker at the bridge, a stock epi humbucker, a passive one, not the EMGs. 1 tone, 1 volume, simple. It has non locking tuners, but stay in tune until you change strings. It came with a gig bag, a strap and the usual cable, which broke in 2 months. Replaced it with a better quality planet waves cable.

Blompcube
    Honestly, for the price its really not bad. Mine has a few finish flaws, and the fretboard was a bit scratchy at first, but that kinda disappeared, now it plays really nicely, i'm very comfortable playing it anyway. It doesn't sound great with the stock pickup, but it sounds fine unplugged which leads me to believe a pickup change will greatly improve the tone.
    Blompcube
    sk8rdude181 wrote: past the 12th fret it is unplayable. the action at the 16 fret is 1 inch high!!!!!
    ever tried lowering the action? don't blame the guitar just because you can't play it. of course its harder to play the higher frets, its a single cutaway just like most les pauls.