Les Paul Junior review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Junior

Purchased from: NZ Rock Shop

I would have liked a single P-90 pickup instead of the t-top humbucker & I've since seen that Gibson have released a P-90 that fits where a 'bucker once resided. Nothing wrong with the humbucker, I just really wanted that trademark P-90 sound. The humbucker will be installed in the neck position of my Telecaster when I swap in the P-90. The guitar sounds great. I mainly play proto punk, Johnny Thunders, Dead Boys, Ramones etc, but bust out early Zeppein riffs when the mood strikes me. For only having minimal controls & one pickup, the variety of sound I cn get from this guitar is surprising. I've made a few mods since buying it. I replaced the stock wraparound tailpiece/stopbar with an intonated one-big improvement. The next mod was a TUSQ man-made ivory nut, I am amazed at the difference this made & reccomend it to all! The tuning machines however, are aweful. I complained & was given a complete replacement set from the store I bought it from & picked one OK set from the two. It's staying in tune, but only for a half hour of jamming. The next mod will be some Grover or Klasson tunes.

I love it. It won't be going anywhere soon, unless some scumbag steals it like my SG. If it was stolen, I'd replace it with the same model, no question. It loves playing punk, hard rock, blues & even slide. Everyone who has played it loves it. Me especially.

I'm not in a band, but jam with friends every day in a cramped room & it holds up fine. I'd gig with it anytime. A friend in a band used it for a night & he loved it. All the hardware is nice, well made & solid, except those damn tuners! The finish is great, you get a lot of guitar for your money & with a few little upgrades-tuners, nut, stopbar-you have a beautiful instrument.

The guitar was set up by the store. The action was fast & low-I was impressed. Until I installed the intonated stopbar & gave those two screws a few turns-the action is so low and fast now it is unlike anything I've seen without a lot of fret buzz! There were no flaws, apart from the afore mentioned tuners. I've owned it for three months now & I still haven't put a scratch on it, despite playing it several times a day. It really is a nice piece of wood. Lots of carnuba wax & damn it looks the business!

I was hungry for a Gibson Les Paul Junior, particularly a twin cut-away model. When I found out that these were a few thousand dollars out of my price range, I stated looking at the Epiphone Juniors. I had owned a 1991 Epiphone SG that was stolen & I was happy with the quality, so I had no problem lookin' to Epiphone for a Junior. I wound up purchasing a single cut-away version, as the twin cut's weren't made anymore by Epiphone. These have a basswood body, a wraparound stopbar, 22 frets, a rosewood fret board & a t-top humbucker. One volume pot, one tone pot.Nice & simple-the way I like it. Not much wood has been routed out of the body for pickups & switches & that's the way I like my guitars. Nice rich sound.

zoastev
    WOW I LOVE THIS GUITAR SOOO MUCH!!!! I love the bolt on neck, the great tuners, and a good sound the pick up comes with the pick up could be better im putting in an EMG 81!!!
    iGuitarist
    this is my first guitar i ever bought other i have gotten as gifts and this is my second electric this is my fav guitar ever its like the best deal ever buy it