Les Paul Junior review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Junior

Purchased from: ebay

For classic rock and blues, it works decently. I run it through a BD-2, an SD-1, an Epiphone Valve Junior, and a Fender FM212R. It's a little noisy on high gain settings, but what guitar isn't? The guitar has a suprising amount of versatality, the tone and volume controls work well to vary the sound from real round and jazzy to biting and crisp.

Overall, I like the looks of this guitar, and the sound is pretty good to boot. I've been playing for 4 years, and this is my backup to my modified Fender Stratocaster. If I lost it, I would kick myself for being so careless, seeing as I believe that a guitar is a guitar, and thus has some potential, but I don't know whether I would buy another. My only real complaint is that I wish it would both intonate and stay in tune better.

I've modified this guitar a bit to make it hold up better, such as replacing the machine heads, swapping out the pickup, and screwing seat belt material (as the strap) directly to the body as to effectively lock the strap to the body. I would depend on it in a gig situation, as long as I had the opportunity to tune often, as it doesn't always seem to stay in tune. Bad nut possibly?

Action only needed a minor adjustment to fix it to taste, but that's not a real problem. The pickups I also adjusted to meet my needs, but that's alright as well. Routing was fine considering the price, it does the job. A little bit of silver paint on the fretboard near the body, but it isn't very noticeable.

This guitar was made in 2001, has 22 frets, rosewood (or some facsimile thereof) fingerboard, it's made of a really light wood, probably some cheap composite. Satin platinum finish looks rather good considering the price. Wrap-around bridge that does not allow for very accurate intonation. Passive electronics. 1 volume, 1 tone control. One humbucking pickup, stock Epiphone. Tuners very cheap. No included accesories, but I bought it off ebay, so that could vary.

YYZX
    if i got one i would have to put a duncan on it with some strap locks, it looks like the pickup and strap buttons are the main concern.
    sk8rdude181
    Blompcube wrote: sk8rdude181 wrote: past the 12th fret it is unplayable. the action at the 16 fret is 1 inch high!!!!! ever tried lowering the action? don't blame the guitar just because you can't play it. of course its harder to play the higher frets, its a single cutaway just like most les pauls.
    Yea i tried lowering it. Like four times. I think i just got a really crappy issue because when i go to lower it at all it starts getting fret buzz. I think tkhe problem may be a warped neck. I adjusted the truss rod(or tried at least) and i took the neck off a few times to try to put a shim type thing in there to maybe straighten out the neck. i took it to the guys at guitar center and they couldnt fix it either. the guy that was helping me was some douche bag who lowered it to where the strings were completely on the frets and then gave it back to me. i thought about taking it to a tech but it just isnt worth that much.
    sk8rdude181
    and i exaggerated a little about the one inch thing. its more like 3/4 of an inch
    sincewhen??
    I bought one a month or so ago. And it keeps on going out of tune the second after I play a song, it's starting to really annoy me.