Les Paul Nightfall review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Nightfall

Purchased from: guitar center

The sound of this guitar is emaculate through the right amp. I play mine through a Line 6 spider three amp and it suits it nicely. But what would a review be without its ups and downs this guitar is an amazing guitar for soloing but loses its pizzaz so to speak during palm mutes and during different chord variations. For speed metal this guitar is built for it for deep down tuned songs it loses its high rich full sound and makes for a really deep gut curdling sound. The amount of sounds this guitar makes depends on the player themselves but with that Floyd Rose on there its hard not to be able to make amazing sounds on there. Dive bombs sound amazing on it although if the rose isnt set up right you'll lose the sound to the frets.

I play metal mainly but also a variety from acoustics to classic rock, even blues, pretty much just about any style of music this guitar suits with the right adjustments and playing knowledge. I've been playing for four years now and have been in a number of different kinds of bands and I gotta say I love this guitar just as much as any of my other guitars. The gear I own includes a 1969 Hondo acoustic, jbp cutaway acoustic, BC Rich Warlock and Virgin, Ibanez rg series, ESP ltd viper, Westone Pantera. Amps including crate, Line 6, rms, Ibanez full, and Marshall half. The only thing I wish I would have done instead of jumping into the decision to buy this guitar is concider that for the price it plays just as well as my Ibanez rg, ESP and rich and they all were lower in price.

This guitar can deffenently withstand live playing. Make sure to bring strings they can be there one moment and broke the next. The hardware on mine has lasted so far so I'm going to say they deffenently will stand up to most anything. The strap buttons are one of the only other problems I had they are a tad too small for the lock in straps so unless you plan to replace them use a reliable guitar strap for the guitar. I wouldn't really take that guitar by itself to a gig but that's due to the tuning of the guitar. I use a variety of tuning so to me a backup is always a requirment. Well as far as the finish goes any finish on a guitar will wear off its just a matter of when and mine hasn't so far so I'm saying its deffenently just like any other guitar on that aspect.

This guitar was very well made as for factory to shop. The pickups on this guitar deffenently needed to be lowered some they were just too close to be comfortable for me. Like I said before the paint and finish on this guitar deffenently describes its name to a t.

ok to begin this guitar was made rather recently early 2009. Not sure of where it was made but for the price and how well it was set up it doesn't matter to me. The neck holds 22 med sized frets great for soloing easy to use and no fret buzz. The neck is bolt on and is kind of fat its bigger than that of my BC Rich Virgin or of my ESP LTD Viper but no complaints any guitarist knows no matter what if your good at playing you could care less about the size of the neck. The paint on this guitar was well done with a nice glossy clear coat over it although yet again paint isnt one of my biggest concerns seeing as how no matter what your going to f*** it up in places. The body and neck of this guitar is I believe agathis but I'm not too worried about that seeing as how I know that different woods make a guitar sound different this guitar suits my every playing no matter what its made of. The body style of this guitar is Les Paul. I know and before you go hating on this guitar I wasn't a fan of the body style till I got one for myself. Now I have a whole new perspective of Les Paul styled guitars. The bridge on this guitar has its down falls of course it is a floyd rose, self locking hardware ECT. I found it rather difficult to do palm mutes and Swift picking on this guitar. The Floyd Rose was just in the way when I got it but with a little tuning to the springs and lowering the Floyd Rose it fixed that problem. The passive 81 and 85 EMG pickups in this guitar are everything you will need but its more or less about sound prefference when it comes to pickups. If your going to change them out depending on what style music you want to play through it I recomend the alexi laiho styled humbuckers or even some Symour Duncans. This guitar comes with tripple tone set up as well as a three way toggle with cut away built in. Came with a free case.

BlieghDawg
    I haven't owned lots of electrics. A Carvin CB130, Gibson SG and now this Nightfall. Didn't feel like running to lots of shops so did my shopping online. House fire ate my SG and wanted to replace her with something worthy. Spent 3 months drooling over guitars online and I only really had three criteria; didn't want to spend an arm and a leg, humbuckers, Floyd rose. Don't know where these others shop but at the time very few guitars fit that bill. Have owned This Nightfall now for about a year. First thing I noticed was the weight. heavy. I know a few guitarists in my area with a wide range of guitars, wt. is about average, no big thing and I am quite used to it now. Second thing I noticed was the finish... like looking in the abyss. OK so.. solid wood, beautiful finish and quality hardware. but I did have some flaws that needed tweaking. Factory set up....HORRID. fret ends all needed filing, on both sides! and a re-solder on one wire on the pu toggle. I bought her from GC brand-new. and she was. Thought I did my homework, but really didn't know what I was asking for in a Floyd rose. First tune-up took over an hour. I got it down to just a few minutes now but wow. Worth it though! Now, I have to smack my friends to keep them from drooling all over her. Nothing short of a half stack does justice to her sound. She never goes out of tune. Worthy? Hellyeah!
    ST/-\LK3R
    The Epiphone is a very good and cheap version of Les Paul. In Hong Kong the Les Paul costs around $25,000 which I'll be broke when I worked so hard on it. But the Epiphone costs $13,000 which I really do not know why. You might think they smoke or something but they surely did make the right choice alright.I've tested the Epiphone and the Les Paul and there are is a few changes such as the sound. The Les Paul is a true beauty and a legend. But I highly recommend people to buy the Epiphone if they are poor like I.
    zennith star
    i agree it is cheap version of les paul but the price of it was bad enough 500 for the nightfall when i paid 200 for my viper and 300 for my rich virgin
    iwannarockism
    I have had this guitar for a week now. I feel it is absolutely incredible as compared to my Peavey T-30. I run this guitar thru a BOSS GT-3 pedal board. If I could afford a proper amp, the 5150 would make the Nightfall sound like a beast! I WANNA ROCK!
    Jay Findlay
    I have owned an endless list of both cheap and VERY expensive guitars...When I first saw the Nightfall, I was COMPLETELY blown away! The paint, overall workmanship and sound-playability are Top-Notch: almost on par with a Gibson Les Paul! After I had polished the frets a bit and put new strings on it, lowered the Floyd Rose Whammy Bar a bit and polished the hell out of it, I have fallen in love with this bitch! Incredible quality for the price. Even though I like EMG pickups and the sound they produce, I decided that I was gonna change the pickups for original Gibsons. On the bridge position I have the 500T with the triple ceramic magnets, and the more conventional 490T on the neck position...Talk about a difference! The tone and sustain that I get from this combination are unbeatable, on par with the most expensive Les Paul models...For 359Euros, (about $500) plus the $170 I paid for the new pickups, I challenge ANYONE to get a better all-round deal and sound that I get from this absolutely ASS-KICKING instrument...I play mostly Metal and Hard Rock, and this beauty just literally craps all over my Fender Telecaster...Now that I realize this, I'm gonna put a Tommy Iommi Signature pickup on the bridge, and another one of these new 500T's in the neck position on the Telly...I think with this combo I am setup for just about ANY musical situation that can arise...I fully recommend this instrument to experienced as well as beginning guitarists: YOU JUST CAN'T LOSE! PERIOD...With the ENG pickups I give this sucker a perfect 10...With the addition of the original Gibson pickups this sucker rates a 20! WELL DONE EPIPHONE!!!!!
    kilo85bravo
    So i went to check out the nightfall lp today . The first thing i noticed is that it is is kinda chunky, and very heavy. Some might think that a good thing, i dont. Its dissapointing. The nightfall has the look i want , but the feel is not there. To be completely honest im a little baffled that no one mentioned the weight or akward feel of this guitar. I read fifty reviews of this guitar, and over and over people mention the action , the tremelo , etc. But not one person mentions the fat, uncomfortable ,heavy body
    R.A.Y
    buying this ina fewwwww daysssss!, any headsup guys, P.E.A.C.E
    AXESLINGER2112
    FOR ONE THING MY NIGHTFALL HAS A SET NECK AND AN EBONY FRET BOARD. THE FLOYD IS ALMOST NOT THERE UNLESS UR USING IT AND THEN U COULDNT KNOCK IT OUTTA TUNE W/ A BASEBALL BAT. IT TOOK 3 MONTHS BUT IT BECAME MY MAIN GUITAR. (OVER MY 1960 REISSUE GIBSON LP & A DEAN ML SHADOW) IT JUST HAS THAT MAGIC. THIS IS THE SECOND ONE I'VE OWNED CUZ THE FIRST ONE BROKE. (FACTORY DEFECT)THE FIST ONE HAD A THICKER NECK. THE NEW ONE HAS A NECK LIKE MY IBANEZ RG 560. YES, THAT THIN. THERE ARE MORE THAN ONE WAY THEY MADE THESE. I DIDNT KNOW THEY HAD A VERSION W/ A BOLT ON NECK????? THIS NECK LOKKS SEEMLESS AND IS ONE OF THE BEST NECKS I EVER FELT. SHOP AROUND FIRST AND MAYBE U CAN FIND ONE W/ THIS MAGIC????
    ADMillennium
    I love some of the negative comments this guitar gets, particularly from those who haven't played or owned one. I've owned a hell of a lot of guitars in the past (too many that i'd care to mention) and as far as LPs go, this one is my own personal favorite. We have to remember that taste is purely subjective, so there'll never be a guitar that will please everyone, but the unique nature of this guitar sets it apart for me. when comparing guitars, I liked this one a lot more than the gibson lp studio, but that could very well be down to my style of playing, also. the pickups did a lot better than I thought they would for passive EMGs and the coil splitting is great for when you want that fender-esque tone for tasty leads. This guitar doesn't impress all, but it sure as hell impressed me!