Les Paul Prophecy EX review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Prophecy EX

The sound is excellent. Active EMG Humbuckers and mahogany solid-top never disappoint. The 81/85 combo is a dead set classic. I play metal and hardcore and stuff like that. Think Pantera/Hatebreed/Overcast. And this guitar kills. The 85 gives this amazing solid chuck that is great for riffage. The 81 screams and handles highs great. Between the 81 and the 85 this guitar can do pretty much anything. (Only problem, the active EMG's give almost too much output for my amp to handle. I've been reduced to my 15 watt Line 6 and the EMG's are too much for the little guy!

My overall impression of this guitar couldn't be better. I played every other comprable guitar GC had to offer and nothing surpased this as far as I was concerned. The mahogany body, set neck, and traditional bridge & stopbar setup keep the tone solid and full. The beautiful neck allows a playability unmatched on any other guitar I tried. The sound and power coming out of the EMG's in insane. Simply put, this is the guitar I've been waiting to play for years. Some people may get all 'Boo! Epiphone not good! ' but seriously, Zakk Wylde's playing a Les Paul with EMG's in it. Don't talk 'til you've tried this out.

I have no reason to believe this guitar will not last me for years of use. I've only had it for three months, but nothing's gone wrong yet. My other Epi never failed me. (It's my kid brother's now.) I wouldn't be afraid to gig without a backup, except for the usual risks with playing Live like broken strings and ccrap like that.

Factory setup was excellent, but I had to adjust it a bit when I dropped it to CGCFAD. Other than that, setup was perfect. No problems with knobs, tuners, anything! Mind you, I've kept it like this and it didn't spend a lot of time on the shelf at GC before I bought it.

The body of the guitar is a Standard solid-top mahogany Les Paul, which means thich, rich, full tone and impressive weight. (That's a thing about me, I like my guitars to have some heft to them, none of this lightweight super-Strat nonsense! ) The mahogany neck is amazing. It's got the traditional Les Paul set-neck joint, but the finish, shape, and fretboard are anything but old school. An amazing ebony fretboard decked out with 24 jumbo frets gives me a full two octaves on each string to play with. The satin finish is slick and smooth as any other neck I've played. The neck shape is what really sold me on this guitar. It's fast and smooth as hell, but still meaty enough to really fill the hand. (I don't like Ibanez and Jackson necks, I know some people love them, but I just don't like them. I find them really uncomfortable to play on for any decent period of time.) As for the rest of the instrument, it's pretty solid. All the hardware is black, which I like, not only because it looks more badass than gold or silver, but it doesn't wear like those colors do. Tuners are great and hold tune for days, even when I drop to (or past) CGCFAD. One volume, one tone, and a three-way Switch keep things simple. Active electronics support the pair of active 'Made in the U.S.A.' EMG humbuckers; an 81 in the bridge and an 85 in the neck. I only gave 9 here, because nothing extra came with the guitar, no gig bag, case, or nothing. And when you buy a guitar this nice, you want something to protect it.

Merlijn
    Do you guys know seriously how to rate a guitar? Of this guitar gets a 9.8, thats possible because it will be compared against other guitars in de 600-800 range. Or wil you give an Smart an thick vet 2 because an ferrari enzo is faster? No... You compare it in the same priceclass and even autotype. So people with 5k gibsons, yes your guitars are better... a lot better I may hope even, for that money... But you have to compare it with other 5k guitars, your guitar would get an 40 or something in this case :-P. So don't spoil the review , get a life xD and go compare your way to expensive for what you get guitars to other way to expensive guitars where you pay 2000 dollar just for the brand :p. Oh andmy english is not very good, as you can see. But I am not English ^___^.
    highwayone73
    As a person who works in a guitar shop and gets to play all kinds of new and different gear; I gotta say that Gibson is easily the most overated Guitar company on the planet. We sell middle and high end Deans, custom amps and a few other odds and ends. We've had a bunch people bringing in brand new Gibsons and having us fix the factory f-ups. Gibson is really going down hill and epi is rolling right along with it. Right now we've got a 1960 re-issue Lp that someone traded almost straight across for a used USA Soltero (beutiful guitar) Why, you might ask? Quality, tone and gig-ability. Gibson has really slacked off since the guitar hero thing started and its starting to show. This epi might be a great axe but I can gaurantee it isn't a 9.8.
    inelms
    I own this guitar and play it every day. I played an epiphone les paul custom for three years and bought this guitar because of the upgrades (the satin neck is thinner and 10x faster). As far as I'm concerned, my playing has gotten a HELL of a lot better on this thing. It could probably use another tune up from a shop but that is my only complaint. Sure there are better guitars out there but I have the rest of my life to try them out and see if I like something better. It's a guitar man! I'm just glad to be able to plug in and play. At the end of the day I know if I can't play something it isn't because of this guitar. For $5000, I could buy this guitar, a big amp, a ton of effects, and everything else I would ever need. Think about it
    samburl
    ShadesOfNight
    gyzer_8970 wrote: its ugly as a poo...
    so's your face but this guitar, no jokes, is orgasmic! not a massive fan of flame top, but this pulls it off awesomely
    Tonehfox
    I played one a while ago. To be honest I wasn't impressed, nor was my Les Paul worshiping friend. It felt a little fake to me.
    Johanthevampire
    gyzer_8970 wrote: its ugly as a poo...
    tancanada
    yes yes
    blackborrego
    awesome guitar and very good review, the other ones should be like this explaining everything about the guitar.
    Zenith Lead
    i duno. I need the 3 way switch and 2 volume controls. it expands my playing a lot. Turn one volume off and the other on. gets that buckethead kinda of playing style (only not as much)
    druz15_UG
    tristan_deity
    druz15_UG wrote: I think in future before you are allowed to review instruments or amps you have to a) have played guitar for at least 2 years and b) have owned and regularly used the piece of equipment for AT LEAST 6 months. There is no way a 700 dollar Epiphone deserves a 9 and 3 10's even if it is good for a price thats like saying a Fender or Gibson standard with all 10's is only a little bit better, when really there is no comparison
    Have you played the reviewed guitar
    tasty licks
    leafs4me
    People... The rating system is based on the price and class of guitar not to be compared to a $1000 strat or a $10 000 "Lenny" or a Les paul in the $5000 range. Its based on quality at a $700 level is all.
    B.do
    4estedward89 wrote: i just bought a Gibson SG Standard. its wayyy better.
    kaizerkhan13
    Wyrmidion wrote: might be getting this after i get the Ibanez RG770DX, been looking at it for quite some time now and just waiting for it to show up
    lol. me too.
    SilverSpurs616
    So we're reveiwing this based on the brand now?
    filthylittleboy
    brand name = quality for the most part price = quality except for les pauls... this guitar is kind of ugly... but I want a LP anyways, because they have some serious tone (if you do it right) think Jon Schaffer
    cfhwarhead
    filthylittleboy wrote: SilverSpurs616 wrote: But that wasn't my point at all i'm sure that is good value but it still shouldn't be rated at 9.8/10 when its only a gibson rip off So we're reveiwing this based on the brand now? brand name = quality for the most part price = quality except for les pauls...
    YOU=DUMBASS So if i gave you a Gibson, you would automatically say "great quality" if it felt like shit, being a chinese copy with the Gibson name on it. ya you would . BRAND DOES NOT MEAN MUCH
    Johanthevampire
    Johanthevampire wrote: gyzer_8970 wrote: its ugly as a poo... And what is a more beautiful guitar? This one has a flame maple top, a satin finish neck, EMGs look slick, What is, in your opinion better? I'd love to know... Probably somthing stupid like a USA Strat, I dont know why anyone would pay more than 50 dollars for a guitar that has a bolt on neck, bolt on necks are for children, or tone def old men who buy 4000 dollar combo amps and cant play, I've met alot of those, they have like 50 guitars, most of them are strats and gibson les pauls, and they just are terrible at guitar, but have tons and tons of gear, I love those guys, BTW I bairly post comments, and I bairly read them, so my posts are more meaty usually, I just rant and stuff, you can ban me if you want, I probably wouldnt find out about it for another 3 months or so.
    Bahahaha, Damn straight no one commented on my comment, I pwned that guy.
    XxGibsonSGxX
    I happen to own a USA Strat, and I paid a lot more than fifty bucks. I'm not a child, and I'm not a tone deaf old man. I have a combo and I can play. Besides, Strat's much sleeker than this thing.
    samburl
    jimmy d'soul
    7orch : How accessible are the 23rd and 24th frets? I have trouble reaching the 22nd on my Les Paul Standard, or did they change the cutaway?
    why wait for gibson to change the cutaway? go for an ESP eclipse. i own one and it is great!
    speedforhire
    tasty licks wrote: samburl wrote: why does a $700 epi have a overall rating of 9.8/10 I'm sure my $5000 les paul custom is at least .3/10 better..... seriously wtf I'm sure this sounds better for hard rock and metal than most any custom shop gibson for 5 or 10K, because those are tailored more for collectors and those after vintage tones, etc.... and wasting their money IMO. It's still not a fantastic value considering Schecter and ESP both make guitars with equal or better setups for $700.
    Spot on! I'll take the SGR Hellraiser over this turd any day! If you shop around you can get a Hellraiser at or below the price of this Epi.....much better quality!
    highwayone73
    ^BTW i play a Gibson V and Fender Highway One HSS. I know a bit about both sides of the arguement and I'm not tone deaf.
    tasty licks
    Blasphemylol
    So Steve Vai is a tone def old man? And the Ibanez Jem is for kids....right. I wouldn't buy a les paul shape guitar with EMG's, it doesn't make sense. The guitar looks pretty nice I agree, but i would rather not buy this. Too old school for my liking, some would call it ugly. This is still an Epiphone, NOT an original Les Paul. Makes me wonder, A Gibson Les Paul would probably get a 16 out of 10??
    snails
    tasty licks wrote: Johanthevampire, you didn't pwn anyone you imbecile, it's just that nobody wants to get in an argument about something so stupid, and it's obvious you "bairly" spell check either. For me the bottom line is always whether or not you're paying more for a quality instrument or a brand name. I've played Gibsons and Epis, could barely tell a difference... about the same with MIM Fenders and US ones. It's all about finding a copy that is well made and has a nice straight neck. Aftermarket pickups almost always blow everything manufacturers put in their guitars out of the water anyway. I wouldn't buy a US strat or Gibson because I'm on a budget and don't feel that either is giving me my money's worth as far as features go. Occasionally better choice in woods, slightly better pickups, and supposed superior craftsmanship (usually), aren't worth the 3 or 4x price tag to me. Now if you've just got money to burn, get sponsored, or are making enough with your music for a free upgrade, more power to you. You don't need to be concerned with how good of a deal it is. I doubt this guitar deserves 9.8 (reviewer was just pretty excited as is often the case), but to say that a Gibson should certainly be better because it's more expensive is completely ridiculous. I think the rating in each category should take into account the price and is basically a question of "Do you feel you got your money's worth?" If a $700 guitar sounds almost identical to, or even better than a $3000 guitar, I'll take the cheaper one any day and feel a hell of a lot smarter having not wasted money for what's printed on the headstock.
    *Well said!!!!
    cts0209
    we are talking about epiphone not gibson. i think that this is a great guitar has an awsome price
    samburl wrote: A les paul custom is really good at hard rock, used by metallica often so yeah.. But that wasn't my point at all i'm sure that is good value but it still shouldn't be rated at 9.8/10 when its only a gibson rip off
    cts0209
    and if gibson made the same guitar with all the same features just a different finish, the gibson name and not called les paul prophecy ex and was over $1500 i bet most of u guys would buy
    blackxrapture
    tancanada wrote: B.do wrote: 4estedward89 wrote: i just bought a Gibson SG Standard. its wayyy better. yes yes yes
    yes, it's way better cause it's a gibson. . . but for an epiphone, this is totally awesome.
    filthylittleboy
    in all fairness, you get what you pay for. with a 6 grand LP you're paying for the fact that it was a 6 grand LP and maybe platinum hardware, and everything is built exceptionally nice. you're an idiot if you think some copy guitar will sound like a les paul. the world is full of slime it seems
    kfong03
    this has got to be my second fav prophecy guitar, my fav being the futura ex since it just kills, although this one is pretty damn badass too, but then again i'm happy with my little epi lp standard
    HRS_79
    I'm confused, should I get the LP version or the SG one? I've never owned a "LP Shaped" guitar, I've only owned "SG Shaped" one's (Mainly Gibson), and I find it a bit hard to play them standing up since they have Heavy Necks compared to their body mass. So, will I be fasing the same problem with this guy as well? Also, how accessable are the 24 frets on this bad boy compared to it's SG brother?
    wrighty2012
    Brand doesnt matter its a case of personal preferance and it got a 9.8 due to the price range its in and tbh money is no object ive played gibsons there are some true pieces of rubbish try an epiphone les paul through a Marshall JCM900 question that!!!!!
    Resurrected22
    yeah i just ordered mine and hope to get it soon. i love the LP's but just cant buy a gibson without playing it first. anyone have any suggestions for a nice but affordable gibson LP. i play alot of metal so there might not be such a guitar. still new to the LP's. holler!
    Wyrmidion
    AlexAvarice
    This guitar is nothing short of perfect! The only reason I went with another guitar was because this one was just a bit out of my price range, but this is definitely next on my list.
    7orch
    s-o-u-l-f-l-y
    i got banned for calling someone an "emo fag" Jeez the guys who moderate these comments need to lighten up. if i get banned for writing this...loooool.