Les Paul Prophecy EX review by Epiphone

• Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Epiphone: Les Paul Prophecy EX

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend.com

I play a lot of metal but I wanted something for more classical and blues stuff. the pups are really nice and the coil split is really tight as well. The guitar sounds great through my Marshal stack. Distorted it's a little weak but overall I love the sound. sustain for days as well.

I play mostly metal but like to mess around with a little of everything. this guitar looks nice and they had the right idea but I simply think epiphones are garbage. this is my second one and both have had major flaws. if your looking at getting a nice LP I would go with Tokai or ESP/LTD. you can't go wrong there and for the price LTDs own all. don't waste your time with Epiphone. They suck.

This thing feels kinda weak. not very heavy for a lp and seems fragile. Who knows? I wont gig with it. I am already trying to sell and replace it. The finish is probably the best part of the guitar. It's really easy on the eyes. The hardware seems like it would last but the strap locks that it comes with are garbage. Not sure what they were doing there...

heres the killer... the action from Musiciansfriend.com or actually the whole setup was garbage. I have been playing for about 10 years and met and know many guitar techs so I have learned a few things and can set them up to my own specs. that being said, after I set it up the things played simply amazing... but as stated before the 1 frets on the 1st and 2nd (bottom 2 strings) mute out unless the action is raised really really high. I never really use those frets so I try not to let it bother me but it really gets under my skin. maybe try thicker strings... dunno. Pickups were fine. the neck once again blew hard chuncks. my thumb gets all sorts of tore up from sticking to that crap a$$ satin wannabe finish.

made in 08, 22 frets, ebony neck, Gibson dirty finger pups, medium frets, beautiful finish, satin neck... you can look it up lol. gold hardware which the paint faded off after tuning it like 3 times... the neck is fairly thin but the satin finish on it is garbage. no matter what my fingers are always sticking to it. It rubs off easily too. the nut is horrible. I have set the guitar up and had it professionally set up and still the first fret on the bottom 2 strings mute out unless you have the action raised really really high.

androidred0100
    tasty licks wrote: Johanthevampire, you didn't pwn anyone you imbecile, it's just that nobody wants to get in an argument about something so stupid, and it's obvious you "bairly" spell check either. For me the bottom line is always whether or not you're paying more for a quality instrument or a brand name. I've played Gibsons and Epis, could barely tell a difference... about the same with MIM Fenders and US ones. It's all about finding a copy that is well made and has a nice straight neck. Aftermarket pickups almost always blow everything manufacturers put in their guitars out of the water anyway. I wouldn't buy a US strat or Gibson because I'm on a budget and don't feel that either is giving me my money's worth as far as features go. Occasionally better choice in woods, slightly better pickups, and supposed superior craftsmanship (usually), aren't worth the 3 or 4x price tag to me. Now if you've just got money to burn, get sponsored, or are making enough with your music for a free upgrade, more power to you. You don't need to be concerned with how good of a deal it is. I doubt this guitar deserves 9.8 (reviewer was just pretty excited as is often the case), but to say that a Gibson should certainly be better because it's more expensive is completely ridiculous. I think the rating in each category should take into account the price and is basically a question of "Do you feel you got your money's worth?" If a $700 guitar sounds almost identical to, or even better than a $3000 guitar, I'll take the cheaper one any day and feel a hell of a lot smarter having not wasted money for what's printed on the headstock.
    You, good sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. I applaud you and wish more people could be as rational and level headed.
    livewire76
    The second review is soooo wrong! He's obviously not bought the instrument in question because he doesnt even know the name!! The other guitar is called the GX, not EX! It DOES have 24 frets like the EX. The difference between the two is pickups and finish. The GX has Gibson Dirty Finger pickups. Resurected22, what is your problem? So you dont like the guitar. Only a real idiot would post a fake review. How selfish can you get?? I own the LP EX and Futura EX (which i reviewed). I see a lot of people comparing guitars that cost waaayy more to these. Why? If youve spent 4000 on a guitar then it should be better than mine for 800!! Like others have said: go compare youre guitar with one in the same price class! You have anothe guitar for the same price you think is better? Fine. you have bought/tried this and dont like something? Fine. You own an expensive guitar and want to piss on my parade? Get lost, dou&he.
    Chazzy_Bhogal
    XChainsawGorgeX wrote: samburl wrote: A les paul custom is really good at hard rock, used by metallica often so yeah.. But that wasn't my point at all i'm sure that is good value but it still shouldn't be rated at 9.8/10 when its only a gibson rip off wow because last time i checked metallica uses ESP good try just do some research ^.^
    Dude, watch some live performances of metallica, you'll see kirk play an Gibson LP custom with EMG pickups. Metallica are endorsers of ESP, don't mean they only ESPs and nothing else...
    WhiteTempest
    this guitar is insane.. the action is lower then anything ive ever seen.. no rattle at all.. the sound is rich.. its worth 1069$ CAD.. if i was willing to invest a little more then my tempest custom i would of got this one for sure
    livewire76
    The first review has one glaring mistake. This guitar has a figured maple cap, it's NOT solid mahogany. Not only does it look great but it helps a little with tone, although how much is debatable. Aprt from that this is one guitar you shouldn't underestimate because of the headstock brand. It kicks ass and until something similar appears with the Gibson name on it there isn't much to compare it to. Kudos to Epi for a great guitar.
    mechagod
    I've had my ibanez s470 for a while now and sensed the need for a more embodied sound. This guitar besides having a mean ass look sounds great and aims exactly to what I was aiming to. In my opinion this is the perfect guitar whithin the price range and when I play it just seems right a right bet all the way
    The_Sauce
    I bought this guitar a 2 months ago, and I recommend it to everyone who likes to play metal/rock and likes the beautiful les paul
    ChronoZ
    guys between this one and the lp black beuty w 3 pickups, and playing genres between alternative rock -> metal what would you go for?
    3 days grace14
    hey the dude from rev theory uses this right along with his custom gibson i dont dig rev theory but thats gotta count for something
    livewire76
    Wow, because last time i checked Hetfield plays a balck LP custom (iron cross) amongst others.. like a few explorers.. yes, yes.. i know .. BEFORE his ESP ones..:p Go do some research
    Anjohl
    I played the FX version and absolutely hated it. It doesn't feel like a LP, and the tone of the Gibson Dirty Fingers is terrible IMHO. They are NOT suited for high gain at all, and they sound terrible clean. What I hated the most was the stupid plastic-like finish on the back of the neck. All the prophecy guitars have it, and I am not sure what its intended purpose it. It feels SUPER cheap, and almost alien.
    hybridhelix666
    I'm just satisfied with my Gibson LP Custom Studio Gothic but this guitar also looks very good....a good guitar but I think another Guitar with an FR would be next on my list =)
    PoP N FresH
    i tried it and hated it. it tries to be a metal guitar without giving enough fret access or having a good enough tone. anyway, its the price range of better guitars for the same types of music, ended up going with a fernandes ravelle elite....couldnt be happier
    srvkicks@$$
    if i bought this guitar id get new better hardware so it will be as good as a gibson (not saying it will be as good but it will be close once you get new stuff)
    srvkicks@$$
    yes lps are good for playing everything but this isnt a real lp its ann epiphone. believe it or not epiphones have more manufacture problems and lower grade equipment and accesories than the cheapest of gibsons
    Xplosiv
    RenegadeDave wrote: I'm still confused why anyone who wants to play metal on an LP doesn't just pony up the cash for an ESP/LTD Eclipse/EC. I've played both, the Eclipse blows all of them away, by a lot. The EC series is still better than this and comparably priced. Really, there isn't much comparison. You can buy an Edwards LP copy off ebay for about the same money and it will likely still be better than this.
    what about Zakk Wylde....he uses and LP with EMGs, and black label society are metal
    RenegadeDave
    XChainsawGorgeX
    warrenguitar
    Wat a beaty!!! My friend has a Les Paul Specail II, but i think this one takes the cake! Worth every cent i reckon.
    mj2007
    @ damskippy err yea obviously, what i mean is the neck has a groove cut coming up at an angle starting at the 12th increasing in size. the 24th fret is about 2 inches into the body so how the **** you would reach it i do not know. and no sale bud, i paid 479 for it and they are rare in the uk due to the main distribution company losing it's rights (as told by 2 different shops) so these won't be hitting the racks for a few more months. i'm happy to see it collect dust for now while i play with a different guitar
    Xplosiv
    the guy whos put the second review for this guitar, Resurrected22, isnt even reviewing the right guitar!! he says it has 22 frets, which is doesnt it has 24 and he says it has gibson dirty finger pups, which it also doesnt, it has EMGs he's obviously mixed up
    damskippy
    mj2007 wrote: i bought this online without playing and kinda regret it. the neck cutaway starts just after the 12th fret and it's practically impossible to reach even the 20th fret. it's a good guitar for middle\lower neck playing but i would stay away if you use higher frets as it's just not comfortable to play them. i've even contemplated selling it and only had it for a month. offers anyone?
    The 17th fret isn't just after the twelfth fret. and I'll give you 48 dollars and twelve cents for it, you pay the shipping.
    mj2007
    Chazzy_Bhogal
    And just because this is an Epiphone guitar doesn't mean that it is crap. If it was then epiphone guitars would not be featured on the Gibson website. Think about it, Kirk Hammett plays a gibson LP custom with EMGs: this one is sort of better cuz its got 24frets, compared to the Gibson's 22.