Les Paul Prophecy EX review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Prophecy EX

Price paid: € 555

Purchased from: Thomann.de

I liked the idea of an LP with EMG's from the beginning and I must say I'm not disappointed at all, it sounds pretty awesome at least for my playing, mostly Metal as you'd probably expect. I'm playing my Guitar through an Engl Gigmaster 15 into a 2*12 cab and since I live in an apartment at pretty low volume but it still sounds awesome.

Being a Metal-player, this guitar suits my style perfectly. It looks amazing but still somewhat traditional which I like a lot, the sound is awesome and I'd definitely buy it again if it were lost or stolen. Being relatively new to guitar playing (about 3 years now) I can recommend this guitar to anyone looking for a nice axe; there is hardly anything to be found in this pricerange that can compare to this guitar. And please ignore the Epiphone haters; seriously, who gives a sh*t about the name on the headstock if it sound and looks awesome. This is definitely a high quality guitar.

The guitar itself is solid as hell, I would definitely consider it reliable for live playing as long as your EMG's battery doesn't run out. No string was broken during regular playing and the intonation is held very well. I would switch the stock strap locks for some higher quality ones to be sure. I would not gig without a backup but I wouldn't do so if this were the most awesome guitar in the world, there's always something that can go wrong. I still think it would last through any gig I can imagine.

The action was not fully to my taste as I got it, a little high, but nothing you couldn't fix yourself. The neck pickup was a little low, the bridge pickup was set up perfectly. Another thing I noticed was a pretty loose connection to the output jack, leading to some minor flaws in the output signal. Please notice, these are minor aspects that one can repair with little effort.

First review so please be tolerant if I'm mistaken at some points. My Epiphone Prophecy Les Paul EX was made in 2009 (I think), made in China which is kinda obvious for what you get in this pricerange. It's got 24 Frets, 24, 75" scale length, an ebony fretboard and a fairly thin but not too thin neck for my taste. The body and neck are both made of Mahogany, just as you'd expect on a regular LP, although that's where similarities are coming to an end. The neck has a pretty nice satin finish which sadly turns glossy as you keep playing, I don't think that's a criticism, but nevertheless worth mentioning. Pickups are the classic EMG 81/85 combination, there's a tone and a volume knob and a 3-way switch for the pickups. Tuners are from Grover Mechanics. All the hardware is black. Apart from that, nothing was included.

livewire76
    Its been a while since i wrote my review and i see there has been a hefty debate around the quality and rating of this guitar (nothing new there then). Reviews here will always be "in the eye of the beholder", and bias, excitement/emotion does play a significant role im afraid. That said i tried to give an impartial view and rate the guitar amongst its peers (price wise), not its superiors. Those that jump on high ratings because the guitar in question isnt a "(write your favorite brand here)" are kinda missing the point because no-one, at least not I, is trying to claim that this guitar is anything more than what it actually is: a lower/mid-range guitar for people on a budget. If you've got the money then by all means, blow it all on your dream axe. Happily it isnt the price tag that determines how well you play.
    tmjns796
    you must have had the product for 6 months and played guitar for 2 years
    tomxrich
    Just looked this up out of curiosity... The guy with the review slagging it off is clearly reviewing the wrong guitar as livewire76's review points out so ignore that. I have owned Gibsons and there are good ones and bad ones, but for newer metal this is pretty much perfect and spending two or three times as much won't give you a guitar two or three times better. People can be brand snobs, but this does the job, and if you can get an early one like the ones reviewed above then go for it. Thanks.