Les Paul Prophecy EX review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Prophecy EX

Purchased from: Amazon

I think this guitar is perfect for Metal and for Hard Rock. It also works for other styles, such as classic rock, instrumental, punk, and what not; but there are better guitars out there if you play those styles. I typically use it to play Metal, Hard Rock, and Instrumental. Although I use it with a horrible amp (Fender Mustang I), it works really well with my Boss ME-25 plugged in. Let me tell you, this guitar definitely packs in a punch. It has so much power when it's on the neck pick up, perfect for solos and riffs. Yet it also keeps a full, rich sound on the rhythm pick up. Giving it an 8 because it isn't versatile when it comes to other styles, but it achieves it's purpose of bringing out the metal side out of a Les Paul.

Overall I love this guitar, I have been playing for around 5 years, however I come from a rather poor family so I've had a beginner's guitar for most of that time and let me tell you, it's been nice to finally change it up. Since I play metal, and many different types of rock, I think this guitar is perfect for me. I tend to incorporate other styles such as blues and jazz into my playing, which there are certainly other guitars that sound much better with those styles. I own a Fender Mustang I (getting a tube amp soon though!), a Boss ME-25 (which is great for what I need), an Epiphone Special II (my first guitar), and a Dunlop Crybaby Classic. If this guitar were stolen I'd be really sad! This is my most prized possession and I would definitely buy it again! It truly is unique and I'm definitely going to be using it for many years! My favorite feature is the neck and the EMGs. I was stuck between a Schecter Avenger and this. I chose this guitar because when I looked at it and played it, I felt like I could truly express myself with this. It has everything I could want for an intermediate guitarist, and for the price it receives a 9. If you have any questions about it feel free to message me and I'll do my best to answer your questions!

This guitar can definitely withstand live playing. I have used it numerous times to practice with my band for hours and hours. I have also used it at a couple of gigs(ex: a club, school competition, guitar battles). The hardware seems perfect, except for that minor knob issue. So far this guitar has yet to go out of tune while I'm playing, the tuners are truly amazing. I would most definitely depend on this guitar, I absolutely adore it. The finish seems to be pretty good so far, I've only had it for a couple of months and it does not have a SINGLE scratch. Overall I give this a 10 because despite being made in China, it is very durable.

It's action was pretty average, I have yet to change it because I am satisfied with it's performance so far. I replaced the strings with Ernie Ball Heavy Skinny Top Heavy Bottom, just because I prefer those; factory strings were pretty good. Pick ups were fine and so was the bridge. One of the tone knobs was slightly higher than the others so I had to fix that, but it was an easy fix and didn't give me much of a problem. No finish flaws, and the quality of the wood is great. What really impresses me about this guitar is that the satin neck makes it so easy to shred, I give this a 9.

This is a relative new guitar, actually it was the last one in stock (before February), I got it around Christmas time. Made in China, which is a blower of course, but then again this is Epiphone. It has 24 Jumbo frets with a 24-3/4" scale length. It has a Mahogany body and a set-in mahogany SpeedTaper satin neck. It also has a Quilted maple top with a Midnight Sapphire finish. Body style is obviously Les Paul and the bridge style is LockTone tune-o-matic. It has the active EMG 81/85 combo. You get 2 volume knobs and 2 tone knobs with a 3-way selector. You also get the black Grover 14:1 machine heads and black Epiphone strap locks already on the guitar. It comes with an Epiphone hard case. It also has a very unique set of inlays if I might add, looks very nice, and the neck feels fantastic. I'm giving it an 8 because for a $600 guitar, it's fantastic.

agrojim1975
    Well it's been a long time since anyone added a comment or review for the Prophecy but as Epiphone are still selling these guitars I thought I'd add my opinion to the mix. With my tastes in music the Prophecy definitely got my attention. 24 frets, Les Paul body, EMG's... Just an awesome combination of features! Lucky for me I found a second hand model in perfect condition with the hard case for less than half the retail price. With only minor changes to the set up I now have an awesome guitar perfect for playing my favourite kinds of music, from Devin Townsend to SOAD and plenty of metal in between. I feel like I play better with this guitar. The satin finish on the back of the neck feels fast and never gets sticky. I think it's a beautiful looking guitar. The dark blue maple top and the matching pearl tone/volume knobs are a nice touch. The binding looks great and the mother of pearl/abelone fret markers put a nice spin on a classic design. The finish is holding up very well however I am extremely careful with my guitars. The EMG's sound great fitted in such a heavy guitar. The electronics work perfectly with smooth control of the volume and tone. (This is the updated model with tone and volume control for each pickup). The lead plugs in solidly and the guitar is nice and quiet until I start playing. In summary for the price range, and for what the Prophecy is designed for, I believe this guitar is fantastic. My particular guitar has performed flawlessly, feels great to play, is finished really well and most importantly makes just the right tones to make me feel all warm and fuzzy when I'm belting out a little Chop Suey. I have a fairly modest set up, with Legacy Hammerhead 50 (Epiphone) valve amp and 2x12 Laney cab, however I am extremely happy with the tones I can dial in. I'm sure with a 'higher quality' amp this guitar can only sound even better.