Les Paul Slash Signature review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Slash Signature

Purchased from: Toombs Music

I am a rock guitarist, and this guitar delivers the sound you need to play rock. When I bought this, there were no pickup covers, so they are open coils, which means a raw-er sound. When you play through full guitar volume on the bridge humbucker with distortion, you get a sound that you would expect to hear from Slash. Think Welcome to the Jungle or the ending solo from November Rain. If you play through clean with full volume and tone on the neck humbucker, you get the exact sound from the beginning of Knockin On Heaven's Door. If you play with full volume and no tone, you get almost a spanish guitar sound. When played through distortion you get an awesome creamy tone. Very cool. I am playing this through a Peavey amp and a Digitech50 multi effects pedal. If I can get a Slash sound through these things, imagine the sound you can get from a Marshall stack. Exactly. This is an excellent sounding guitar, and is perfect for hard rock, and a little punk.

This is my favorite guitar that I own. It has an amazing look, and amazing sound. I love everything about it, and my favorite feature is definatly the sound and look of it. This is the best sounding of my other guitars. It isn't a common guitar, and is kind of rare, so if you ever come across one, I urge you to buy it. It is a wonderful hard rock/punk guitar, but I wouldn't suggest it for nu-metal. I read about this guitar before I knew there was one near where I lived, and when I saw it, I knew immediately that I had to get it, and I definitely don't regret it.

This guitar has very good reliabilty, and it is very durable. I've used this in a couple of live shows, and it has delivered well, getting a great sound, and a great tone for solos. I need to replace the pickup selector and the nut, but even with both of these in less then perfect shape, it still plays and sounds like a dream. The finish is very solid, and after months of getting scraped with my picks, looks like new. The strap button closest to the neck recently came out, and I need to get that repaired, but that happens with all of my guitars, so I'm not blaming that on the guitar. This is a very dependable guitar, and would use it on a gig with a short set-list without a backup. However, I would take a backup with me on a larger set list gig. So for reliability, durability, and dependability, the Slash Signature Les Paul is top notch.

I got this guitar used, so I can't tell you what the factory set up was, but when I bought this, the action was still incredible. It is an incredibly fast neck, and has great frets. The finish is incredible looking, and this guitar has a beautiful red flametop. I think the exact color is called cranberry. Anyways. There are only 2 problems with this guitar I found. The 3 way selector Switch was very loose, and is now extremely loose after I was playing with it. The nut also isn't that wonderful. On the G and D strings it gets stuck on a pitch, then suddenly jumps up a few when I am tuning. But other than these minor defaults, this guitar is incredibly well built.

This guitar was made shortly after the Gibson Slash Signature model was made. There were only 75 of the Gibson ones made, and this is a Epiphone Limited Edition, so there's not alot of these around. I think this one was made somewhere between 1997-1999. This is almost exactly the same as the Gibson version, except instead of a hand painted snake, it is a decal, instead of a pearl snake coiling up the neck, it is trapazoid inlays, and in the place of a carved snake in the middle of the head, it is a small Slash siganture. But the pickups are the same, so you will get the same sound. It is equipped with 2 Alnico II humbuckers. Like the Gibson one, it has 22 frets, and like any standard les paul, has 2 volume knobs, 2 tone knobs, and a 3 way selecter Switch. Unfortunately the 3 way selector Switch is very loose, and can break very easily, which sucks. The body has a wonderful red flametop which looks spectacular. The tuners and bridge are black, instead of chrome or gold (which Gibson usually uses), so it is an interesting change. The neck is a very fast neck, which makes for great soloing.

Butthead
    That pics ugly, they're gorgeous in real life. I own one and love it, and there really isn't much of a diffrence between this and a Gibby. I had mine redone with new hardware etc., and it's brutal . I love this thing.
    Zeppelin_31
    That pics ugly, they're gorgeous in real life. I own one and love it, and there really isn't much of a diffrence between this and a Gibby. I had mine redone with new hardware etc., and it's brutal. I love this thing.
    Are you some sort of moron? You say there's no difference? One is real, and one is fake! Don't you know anything?
    stage4saiyan
    madh4ttr wrote: I love the way people say this is a hell of a guitar and is compairtive to Gibson. Yea right, thats why more than half change the pickups, bridge, tuners, etc. Just buy the real thing and you wont have too.
    The Gibson has all the same hardware as the Epi. Honestly, I'm a bit disappointed with how the Gibson isn't any better than the Epi is. If you're buying the Gibson, then you're paying for: 1) The "Gibson" name and 2) The rarity They sound the exact same (and I oughta know...I have the Epi Goldtop and my pop got the Gibson GT)
    RedDevil07
    Just put a deposit on this guitar today. Sounds great. Haven't actually really listened to G'N'R in ages but still have a lot of respect for slash, brilliant guitarist!
    rocknroll8552
    This is an amazing guitar, I have a normal gold top finish on mine, (no fancy snakes), I own in, and it plays as good if not better that some Gibsons (Like the Les Paul Studio). The action is amazing, and it breaks in very well. GET ONE IF YOU HAVE THE CHANCE, The are rare, so the second you buy one it is worth more that you paid. It has an amazing case, (that would be worth $200.00's by its self), and a cool metal studded case!!! It has the same electronics as the gibson version, and it is (1500.00 dollars less). The Gibson is not as heavy, but I would save my $1500, and get some excursive holding this guitar!!! It also has the same electronics as the $10,000.00 Gibson Custom version. BUY THIS GUITAR, EVEN IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE MONEY. : ) : ) : ) : ) !!!!!
    Korzack
    Akiel wrote: Slash rocks, man. You gotta hand it to the guy. And nobody looks cooler than him wearing a hat and smoking on stage!
    And ignoring a 60 fine for the privilege of the latter. TBH, I'd love them to re-issue the first sig over the new one... The new one just looks like every other LP, that first one was something different.
    madh4ttr
    Tanman0725
    There is a new slash custom i bought in the US, there is a gibson epiphone and gibson USA, i got the epiphone, damn good guitar, only 2400 go out for epi and 1500 for gibson, great guitar, released april 1, 2008
    Akiel
    Butthead
    There is a difference, but my point was that this is a good substitute to its counterpart.
    slashepiphone20
    to the cock who wrote the previous comment. if u dont like slash then dont write on this page.if u r better than slash then how come ur not famous n ****ing the hottest girls everynight? oh yeh, cos ur gay!
    will-loves-zep
    i think it looks pretty gash, it would look better in burst. Slash is awesome though, listen to 'let it roll' on the new vr album
    slashepiphone20
    just bought this guitar brand new from a private collector and it is the most beautiful thing ive ever seen! if anyones got 1 and has a ny tips on it then let me know.cheers
    Kynyster_K
    SLASH ROCKS ALL ASS! IF YOU DISAGREE... PLEASE DIE!!! I want that black Les Paul he uses in She Builds Quick Machines... Anyone know the price?
    little_green_1
    Slash is the man but i like the other les pauls that he uses more than this weird looking one actually come to think of it ive never seen him use one like that
    matizadomrb
    By the way, so sorry about my weird messed up first post ... I don't understand why it got divided like that (apparently the quotes option I used from the comment tool didn't worked all that well) ... I'm a newbie here so again sorry for the anoying post! Best regards, Mauricio
    matizadomrb
    Greetings guys! I recently bought this Epiphone Les Paul Classic "Slash" Signature (Limited Edition) to which I added Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro pickpups ... And it is truly a great sounding guitar (I just love it!), but as with all Epiphones I do agree that most of the hardware parts are crap (to be honest), so I'm planning on replacing the hardware with better quality parts probably starting with the bridge and locking tailpiece for which I'm thinking on getting TonePros AVR-II Bridge and the TonePros T1Z ("Metric thread") or T1ZS ("US thread") Locking Tail Piece, to keep the original look of the guitar (comes with a Black Epiphone ABR-1 type bridge and black stop bar tail piece that not only looks cheap but is very loose, but still the ABR-1 vintage look is definitely the way to go for this guitar although it should be in nickel like the original Gibson version it is derived from). Also I was thinking of getting some Kluson Deluxe or Gibson Deluxe tuners, then replacing the 3 way toggle switch (with a switchcraft definitely), and finally replacing the rest of the hardware black parts to match the Gibson version (cream bone nut, creme pickup rings, creme switchwasher, cream jackplate, amber top hat knobs and amber switchtip) for which I was thinking of getting all original Gibson parts. BUT the really tricky question comes now: will all those parts fit my Epiphone? I have read that most of the imported guitars use "Metric Thread" while US guitars use the "SAE or Standard US Thread". For what I've heard, Epiphones are considered imported guitars and therefore should come with the "Metric Thread" but I'm confused since in the back of the head of my guitar is says "100% Inspected & Set-Up in the USA by Epiphone". So is it imported or not? Should I be looking for parts with "Metric" or "US" thread? For what I've found on-line, for example the TonePros Locking Tail Pieces comes in both "Metric" (T1Z model) and "US" (T1ZS model) threads, so if I can determine which one is the thread of my Epiphone I can choose the correct one, but the TonePros AVR-II bridge apparently comes only with "US thread". So, will the AVR-II bridge fit if the Epiphone comes with "Metric Thread"?. The tuners apparently arent much of a problem since for what Ive read even if they dont fit exactly, adapting them is fairly easy and it gives no problems at all. The 3 way toggle switch does confuses me since apparently the regular straight switchcraft may not fit (most Epiphones come with a crappy 3-way box toggle switch which I dont think Switchcraft or even Gibson produces), and even the rest of the hardware parts apparently may have different measures (even the damn toggle tip apparently has Metric or US thread options unbelievable!). So for all of you guys who have successfully modify your own Epiphone Les Paul Classic "Slash" Signature, what feedback or advice can you give me? Is my guitar imported (Metric thread) or US made (Standard or US thread)? Can I use the parts that I mentioned I was planning on using? If the guitar is metric thread and all parts need to be that as well, can you recommend some brands and models for the correct parts and where I can buy them? Can I only use Epiphone parts (not even Gibsons)? Your help and advice will be greatly appreciated my friends! Thank you in advanced! Best regards, Matizado
    matizadomrb
    Greetings guys! I recently bought this Epiphone Les Paul Classic Slash Signature (Limited Edition) to which I added Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro pickpups ... And it is truly a great sounding guitar (I just love it!), but as with all Epiphones I do agree that most of the hardware parts are crap (to be honest), so I'm planning on replacing the hardware with better quality parts probably starting with the bridge and locking tailpiece for which I'm thinking on getting TonePros AVR-II Bridge and the TonePros T1Z (Metric thread) or T1ZS (US thread) Locking Tail Piece, to keep the original look of the guitar (comes with a Black Epiphone ABR-1 type bridge and black stop bar tail piece that not only looks cheap but is very loose, but still the ABR-1 vintage look is definitely the way to go for this guitar although it should be in nickel like the original Gibson version it is derived from). Also I was thinking of getting some Kluson Deluxe or Gibson Deluxe tuners, then replacing the 3 way toggle switch (with a switchcraft definitely), and finally replacing the rest of the hardware black parts to match the Gibson version (cream bone nut, creme pickup rings, creme switchwasher, cream jackplate, amber top hat knobs and amber switchtip) for which I was thinking of getting all original Gibson parts. BUT the really tricky question comes now: will all those parts fit my Epiphone? I have read that most of the imported guitars use Metric Thread while US guitars use the SAE or Standard US Thread. For what I've heard, Epiphones are considered imported guitars and therefore should come with the Metric Thread but I'm confused since in the back of the head of my guitar is says 100% Inspected & Set-Up in the USA by Epiphone. So is it imported or not? Should I be looking for parts with Metric or US thread? For what I've found on-line, for example the TonePros Locking Tail Pieces comes in both Metric (T1Z model) and US (T1ZS model) threads, so if I can determine which one is the thread of my Epiphone I can choose the correct one, but the TonePros AVR-II bridge apparently comes only with US thread. So, will the AVR-II bridge fit if the Epiphone comes with Metric Thread?. The tuners apparently arent much of a problem since for what Ive read even if they dont fit exactly, adapting them is fairly easy and it gives no problems at all. The 3 way toggle switch does confuses me since apparently the regular straight switchcraft may not fit (most Epiphones come with a crappy 3-way box toggle switch which I dont think Switchcraft or even Gibson produces), and even the rest of the hardware parts apparently may have different measures (even the damn toggle tip apparently has Metric or US thread options unbelievable!). So for all of you guys who have successfully modify your own Epiphone Les Paul Classic Slash Signature, what feedback or advice can you give me? Is my guitar imported (Metric thread) or US made (Standard or US thread)? Can I use the parts that I mentioned I was planning on using? If the guitar is metric thread and all parts need to be that as well, can you recommend some brands and models for the correct parts and where I can buy them? Can I only use Epiphone parts (not even Gibsons)? Your help and advice will be greatly appreciated my friends! Thank you in advanced! Best regards, Matizado
    sum 41 fan
    mr. blobby wrote: to b honest, from the photo, i think its looks are crap
    thats what you think but if slashed played the exact same model then it gota be ****ing amazin
    eurodude
    I bought this guitar a few weeks ago, and had everything redone. switchcraft switch & jack, gibson pots and burstbuckers and a new bridge/tailpiece (chrome) and schaller tuners(vintage nickel). I also put cream humbucker rings on it. now he looks and sounds awesome!!! it's the greatest guitar I own! he plays and sounds like a gibson, thanks to the full mahogany body (not like the OTHER epiphone models, with an alder core) I love it to death!
    slash4lyf
    can u buy a gibson one anywhere??and how would it be??i fkn love this guitar one of the greatest guitars in my opinon
    tribalisticbass
    I originally bought mine from my little brother, for $350 w/hardshell case. I then I started moding it, first pick-ups & elec, went with EMG 81's w/MG EXG, & EMG SPC, two Vols. Schaller Strap-locks, SperzelTuner, new pick-up selector, & Graph Tech Nut & Saddles. Great sound, think '....And Justice for All' Metallica. Perfect for Metal & power blues when distorted. Good full sound when clean, like Nothing Else Matters. I ended up modifying the Slash right out of it. I did keep the original p-ups & elec, for another guitar if I ever want that sound.
    Nicko_Lps
    Ok i got this guitar changed picups tuners pot bridge nut and frets i left the wood as it was, through my 490&189 Gibson pickups i see no differnce with a Gibson LP sounds crazy?It's true Spertzel tuners AP pot's gottoh bridge vintage bone nut and Jim Dunlop fets(18%nickel) and a new switch couse this one really sucks!!!Just an amazing guitar!
    Adamsrocking
    the price: 553, but what does that mean, is it in Canadian dollars, or us, or pounds?
    Polish guy
    I thing Gibson les paul pageburst is the best of Slash's guitars..But this one is nice. I've played on it on time, and it's not bad.
    Treschen
    TO metallicax6: Dude u r probably a kid who just hit puberty, so kindly keep ur childish comments to urself!!
    metallicax6
    Epiphone is firewood, Slash sucks at guitar, and Gibson is shit. I would rather rip solos on a First Act (and better than Slash) than a Gibson any day. They suck.