Les Paul Special II review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Special II

Purchased from: Local Music Store

This guitar suits my musical style incredibly well. I play mostly rhythmn and a little lead and this guitar complements my style well. It has a very mean, crunchy punch when playing with distortion much like all Les Pauls, but a very clear, clean tone and sound at the same time. I'm using a small Crate GFX and a Peavey Raptor Plus with a DigiTech RP50 effects processor and the sound is AMAZING for an inexpensive beginner's model guitar. I am not a beginner, but yet I'd rather play this guitar over any others that I have. The guitar does have a tendency to get a little noisy when lots of distortion is used at the max volume level, but a simple noise compressor can solve that problem easily which is what I do. Very rich and full sound, just like a Les Paul should sound. This guitar can be used to play lead, but it better suites a distorted, crunchy rhythmn. I like pretty much everything about this guitar and I have no dislikes except that maybe more tone and volume controls could have been given.

I play mostly heavy metal/Hard Rock and this guitar is a perfect match for those styles. I have been playing for almost 4 years and this is the best guitar I have. I own another guitar (A Peavey Raptor Plus stratoscaster). If this guitar were stolen or lost I would probably upgrade to a better Les Paul, though this guitar is definately a guitar for someone who is wanting to try out a Les Paul.

This guitar will definately withstand live playing and hardware seems as if it will last for a long time. I have had to replace NOTHING but broken strings. The finish has not worn off yet, so it looks good in that area. With a little cleaning this guitar is always shiny and nice looking. The strap buttons are solid, but are a little small and would probably require a strap-lock depending on what kind of strap being used. I depend on this guitar when playing and I feel as if I can always depend on it. I would also feel comfortable using this guitar on a gig without a backup, but that is never recommended no matter what guitar you are using if it can be helped.

The guitar was set up with great Gibson/Epiphone quality. The pickups were adjusted perfect. There are no noticable flaws with this guitar.

2001 model 22 Extra Jumbo Frets Solid Top 1 Volume 1 Tone 3-way selector controls H/H pickup configuration Factory pickups Active electronics Maple body w/rosewood fingerboard Black satin finish Les Paul body style Stop Tailpiece bridge style Factory locking tuners Rosewood jumbo frets No included accessories