Les Paul Special II review by Epiphone

• Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Epiphone: Les Paul Special II

Suprisingly I can get pretty good sounds out of it, especailly once I got very used to playing it. Although when I hear it right next to a really good guitar, you can tell the difference. It suits the band I'm in right now, which is an Indie rock band, because its got that sorta half-assed tone that sounds good with that. Also played alot blues with it, and its ease of use and play made that better as well. When the distortion is really cranked though, it can feeback extemely easily.

Well although this may seems like one of the most harsh reviews in recent history, I give it a four overall because in reality, this guitar is supposed to be bad. Its cheap! I make up for its tone with my Boss GT-6 effects proccesor, which really makes what it is insignificant. Its had some some minor problems here and there, but nothing that made it so I couldn't play. I like the fact its cheap because I don't have to worry about taking care of it too much and I even painted on it. It's always good to know that you have a guitar that is just fun to play.

I've had many reliability & durability issues with this guitar, but its crap what do you expect? I've often had the pickups sink into the body, needing re-adjustment every month or so. I've had some pickups or the Switch fail occasionally, coming back unexpectedly. The volume knob once became loose inside so you turn it more then 360 degrees. Stap buttons could hold my strap on for squat, had to get those replaced. Also one of the tunning pegs are loose, not sure if its my fault or not. Also intonation went a little bad, again not sure if its my fault or not. Already got some big chips in the finish despite a lack of much real abuse. I would never gig professionaly with this. This IS my backup. My bitch guitar that I'll smash or lite on fire some day.

Seemed allright when I got it. Can't remember if it had any problems right off the bat, didn't know enough about guitars to know at the time. Couldn't have been perfect though because of the problems listed below. Came as part of a package, which had an small amp, strap, and gig bag. Whole package was $300, so that's why I said its around 225 for the guitar.

This is pretty much as basic of a guitar as you can get, as it is meant to be. This is what I got as my first learning guitar, so its what I paid for. It's got 22 frets, which isn't bad, but I could have used a few more. But also the frets are on the small side, making them harder to use near the top of the neck. Its got only two knobs and two pickups, with a three position pickup Switch. The pickups are both humbucklers though, which sound good. The rosewood neck is nice.