Les Paul Special II review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Special II

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

I play all styles of rock, and this guitar has been able to handle anything I dish out to it. By itself with no effects or pedals put through it, the pickups work very well. There is no feedback what-so-ever put through clean or distortion. They're definitly not the best pickups money could buy, but they are underpriced for this package. This guitar puts out a great sound. Although more tonal controls would be nice, I'm not complaining about it.

Anyone who has tried on a LP, knows that it fits any style of music, and the Epi version replicates it's Gibson brethren perfectly. I have been playing for around 2 and a half years, and this is my main guitar. I really like it's ability to go through so many different sounds with so little tone controls, but I don't like it's weak machine tuning pegs. If this guitar was stolen, I would probably just buy a Standard Epi LP, but only because this is a beginner/intermediate guitar. Great guitar for the money.

This guitar is obviously good enough for live playing. The hardware on it has not faultied enough to make an extreme difference for playing live. The strap buttons will lose the strap easily, though, so get some strap locks if you plan on playing live. (It would suck to be rocking out a solo then have the guitar fly out of your hands). I can definitly depend on this guitar enough to use it in a show without a backup. I don't think the finish could last longer than a decade, but by then you should have gotten a better guitar.

For a $200 guitar, it was put together extremely well for a factory guitar. I didn't have to adjust anything out of the box. Everything has functioned great, save for the machine tuning pegs that will come out of tune with relatively hard playing. Also, the input guard has bent a little over time. Other than those things, the guitar has functioned very well. I would have liked a polished finish, but it's still nice.

- Made in Japan - 22 frets, rosewood fretboard, dot inlays - Solid ebony body - Tune-O-Matic bridge - 1 volume and 1 tone control, 3 way selector - 2 open coil pickups - Epiphone 10 watt amp, picks, gig bag, video and strap included. Good guitar for beginner/intermediate players. Best value guitar for price.