Les Paul Special II review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Special II

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

I play hardcore/posthardcore music, some heavy stuff like As I Lay Dying, and some not-so-hard stuff, like From First To Last and Blindside, and let me tell you, there is no better guitar for octaves than this. It sounds amazing on distortion channels, but I usually play out of a Roland Cube-15, and the clean channel is rough at higher sound levels. But distortion is sweet! With my Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal, it will knock your socks off. And plugging into a Marshall half? Watch out Kirk!

For my post-hardcore/hardcore style, there wouldn't be a better guitar for the price. Playing for about two years now, this guitar is pretty good, and I thoroughly enjoy it. If I did lose this guitar, I would make my parents get a Studio or something, just because I would want to upgrade, and get a carved top and gold hardware. But her, if you're living with cheap people or your budget doesn't allow for $4,000,000,000 guitars, then pick this one up for sure!

This guitar would be great for live playing, because I actually saw a guy play with it at a gig I went to. It was pretty rad. The only concern I have with are the pickups - open-coil pickups just don't seem like they would last forever. Everything else is really great though, the finish is good, the straps are solid.

No flaws, action is great. From soloing to shredding rhythm guitar, this is it.

Six months ago, I had just my Ibanez GRX-40, and I wanted a new guitar. My 16th birthday was coming up, and thats when I wantd to get my new guitar. Now, like many others, my parents (usually) controlled what I got, expecially something that's over $100. My parents are not rich, so I needed to find an affordable and goood-valued guitar. But me, I just wanted a Paul, so I found the cheapest one I could find; the Epiphone Les Paul Special 2, for 150 (I got a custom paint job that was $50 extra). Made in Asia, this Paul comes with 22 frets on a dot-inlayed fretboard. Though the neck was thocker than my Ibanez, I found this to be a plus side, there wasn't as much extra space between my fingers and the fretboard. Comes with a standard Paul body, but its not carved-top. Two open-coil humbuckers, one volume and one tone control, and a standerd Les Paul bridge make this one nice-looking guitar.