Les Paul Special II review by Epiphone

• Reviewer's score: 6.4 Neat
Epiphone: Les Paul Special II

Purchased from: Music And Arts (Virginia)

The stock pickups aren't very good for distortion, but for the price they were ok. I bought it because it was cheap and use it as my practice guitar so it didn't really matter to me. I switched the pickups out with some Duncan's and it sounds alot better. I use this guitar with a Randall RG200 combo and you wouldn't even be able to tell that it was a cheap guitar if you just listened to it and didn't see it. It's got decent harmonics and tone for the price, and I am actually glad I got it because I don't have to scratch up my other guitars or anything when I practice.

I usually play metal and this guitar is good enough for practicing. I've been playing for a few years now and have a Jackson DKMG and a Washburn. This guitar doesn't compare to them really, and if it were stolen or lost I probably would not buy a new one. I would just buy a different guitar. I don't really have any major likes about it other than the fact that it was cheap and it's my main practice guitar, and I don't really hate anything about it. One thing I wish it came with when I first got it were better tuners and that's about it. If you aer looking for a cheap guitar to use for practice or for your first guitar then this fits the bill.

I'm not sure if I would ever play a gig with this guitar, but I suppose if you wanted to try it you could get by. The hardware on the guitar is all fine except for the tuners. They have a tendency to go out of tune after a few minutes of use, but getting new ones fixed this problem. The finish on this guitar is OK, but not the greatest. After awhile I had alot of little swirls and small scratches in it, but once again the price made this not matter so much.

Since I bought this guitar from a music store there were some minor adjustments that had to be made as far as intonation, tuning, and out of personal preference, action. I can put the action down fairly low (low enough) without the strings buzzing like crazy. Again, for the price, it wasn't too bad.

This guitar was made in Japan I think. It has 22 frets. The body is made of alder I believe and mine has a sunburst finish. It has a les paul style body but is much thinner than a real one. It has a Tune-O-Matic bridge and comes with passive pickups, with a three way Switch. It has cheap tuners and 1 volume and 1 tone control.