Les Paul Special II review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Special II

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

This guitar suits my style of music well. I mostly play classic rock, and bands like Velvet Revolver, Guns N' Roses, Led Zeppelin and AC/DC. It sounds a lot like Slash's, which is good, because that's what I mostly play. It's great for me, and I'm playing with a crappy Yamaha 10W Amp. It sounded awesome with my friends Marshall. If you play metal, I would not suggest this, it's more of a blues sounding guitar.

If you only have a hundred or two to go out and buy a guitar, this one is a good bet. If you like classic rock and want to start playing with a guitar which sounds great, or just want another guitar you should consider this. If this got stolen, I would either get another one or a Epiphone Les Paul 100, the step above this.

This guitar is heavy, and I believe it would last playing Live. I would bring a backup however, just in case of a string breaks, or anything else. The finish is great, and I love the color. The strap buttons seem to be put on pretty good. The stock stings sucked, and I replaced them with Dean Markley's which work great. Otherwise, I love how it feels, and I would bring an identical backup just in case.

Everything is great, except for the Humbuckers don't seem right, they seem to be weirdly adjusted. The wood is good, and it looks nice, And the finish is lasting long too, which is good. Everything elsewhere was set up great, and it was ready to play as soon as I got it. There was one scratch on the back I didn't see however until I took it out of the case. If you did get this, Don't go on a gig with the strings it comes with. They break pretty much instantly. The treble/rhythm switch feels loose.

My guitar was made in 2006. it's a Les Paul Special II. It is very basic with 1 tone knob, and 1 volume knob. It has chrome tuners which are non locking. The guitar has a Chrome Tune-O-Matic bridge which works great. I've broken a lot of strings, and this makes it quite easy to change them fast. I only gave it a 6, but if it had more features, I would have gave it higher. But what else can you get for this cheap. It is in the cherry sunburst finish. I'm hoping to get a pickguard soon. The store gave us 30 free picks and a cable, But I had to buy my own case.