Les Paul Special II review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Special II

Purchased from: www.Gak.co.uk

I play main metal and thrash e.g. Metallica, Trivium, God Forbid etc. but also play anything from flamenco to country, '70s rock/blues. And this guitar handles these many different genres surprisly well. I play through a 50w Marshall MG50DFX amp (not the best amp ever). This guitar you would not expect to be able to handle the metal/thrash sound and speed. But amazingly handles it very well. Providing you are using balanced jack leads, it's virtually noise less when left up played. This guitar you can tell suits hi-gain and some distortion and gives a good quality tone, however it does seems to lack richness when on a clean tone, it seems to be either to treble or too bassy, never the less it is possible to get a nice warm tone once you get to know the guitar. I am seriously impressed with the quality of the sound, I have never played a guitar anywhere as good as this one for the price I payed. If you don't have much money this is definitely the guitar for you. I could be happier with it.

Well I play metal lots. I mean this guitar can handle it well but obvioulsy not designed for this genre and I am looking to buy a new guitar. But for the price you wont fine anything as good as this even for playing metal. I've been playing nearly three years and playing this guitar for one or two years. Most definalty don't regret buying this guitar, it will probably stay with me till I die. If I only had around 100-140 I would definitely buy it again. I love how versatile this guitar is and never seems to struggle with anything I put it through with a great tone and sound. I would strongly advise if your into your metal, don't have that much to spend, and are looking for a great guitar to start learning with then you need this guitar. You won't find one as good for the same price. Obviously it's not the best guitar in the world, but for what pay it's amazing.

I believe this guitar to be very reliable, I've never had a problem with it. I've never really even thought about if I could rely on it or not because it's never caused any problems. The hardware seems solid enough no signs of wear and tear. I would use it a gig and definitely depend upon it, it's easily capable of giving. The finish seems very hardwaring. However mines scratched to shit but that's my fault because I tend to chuck it about. But these scratches aren't really visible unless you look closely. Very reliable and durable.

This guitar arrived set up extremely well, the action seems perfect, nothing wrong with the pickups. Everything seemed to be perfect. Very good quality. I've had this guitar just over a year now and it still plays as if bought yesterday, very impressive!

ixion
    Phill-Rock
    I got the Epiphone Les Paul Special (the first one) years ago, wonder what the difference is....
    TwistedLogic
    I have one of these and the guitar itself is nice enough. I like playing the neck and find the dimensions of the neck to be alright but the pick ups suck like there is no tomorrow. I moved up to a dot deluxe. The special two sucks like there is not tomorrow when played next to me epi dot, and the dot is not all the great either. I personally am looking to put some burstbuckers on the special model and will be very happy after that.
    War-Ensemble
    ixion wrote: nmot being harsh... but its a 200$ guitar... have you ever played a real PRS? tell me this: play for 5/10 years. Get actually good.. then play a PRS then play that.. then tell me if its the best guiitar ever.. liek wtf.. how can it get 10 for everything on reviews.. played one myself.. nothing special.. pick ups have low sustain and go muddey..
    true ,true but it is possible to get a really good tone out of a special 2
    Korzack
    they're about 200 UK. However, you're better off getting s Vintage version of a Les Paul for that money - these are shoddy. Remember tryin one of these out when looking for a cheap upgrade, there's a very good reason why they're 100 cheaper than the rest of the epi range. The pickups are god-awful. Mind you, it is an entry level guitar, so ya pays ya money & ya pays your chances. Personally, i'd go for the vintage version (V99/100 I belive)
    Bloodtoxic
    picked one of these up as i needed a third guitar all different tunings. and for the price of the lowest entry level Epiphone/gibson guitar it sounds amazing the bridge pickup is incredibly smooth for leads. i find the neck a little thick almost accoustic like. found them only in cherry sunburst and black sunburst but recently seen designer painjobs on them easy to get used to.well balanced standing or sitting. and again the sound just fabulous i know there are much better models but for the price one cant go wrong 8.5/10
    Bloodtoxic
    for a cheap guitar it sings well a good guitar doesnt make a better player, but a good player can make even a shitty guitar sound good.
    bokuho
    Friend of mine got one of these just a couple of weeks back. Used it a bit, it seems decent considering the price, but Epiphone make some much better guitars too, and virtually all Epi's are cheap anyway. Unless you really are looking for the absolute cheapest LP out there, I'd say you're better off going with an Epi LP Standard - still cheap, and sounds a helluva lot better
    proguitarist11
    it's about time sumone realized this..well said, my man. i totally agree, and although this guitar may not be as good as a Gibson LP model, i think it plays surprisingly well for the price. i'd use it in a gig.
    jcs5234
    my gf's little brother has this guitar, and it plays surprisingly well for its price, but the intonation is bad and the neck isn't straight. oh well...what do u expect for 100 bucks?
    mrmen
    I have one that I got for Christmas 06. Before that I had a Squier strat. The first thing i noticed was how much easier it was to play, it's a lot lighter, smaller and sounds lovely with the humbuckers. I would reccomend as a starter guitar over the Squier, although build quality may not be quitae as good.