Les Paul Special II review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Special II

It does not have a wide variety of sounds but like I said, it's for beginners or someone on a tight budget. Well, it has a lot of fret buzz unless you change the strings right away, I use it on chorus, higain 3 on a Vox amp, good for classic rock, hard rock, not that great for heavy metal, unless you get different pickups and higher gauge strings. It is good for tapping if you don't mind a little extra background noise, and it still has a little distorted sound on clean settings. Very playable fret board, pretty fast, 22 frets. Nice humbuckers.

I play mostly classic rock and hard rock, every once in a while I will attempt a heavy metal song but this guitar just isn't cut out for that. I've been playing for 3 years and I have a Vox amp and a monster cord, roadrunner gig bag. The reason I picked this guitar is because I am on a very tight budget. I wish I would have thought more carefully about getting this or an Ibanez. Now I would probably have bought the Ibanez. If this were lost or stolen I would probably buy a new guitar, probably an Ibanez. I love this guitars playability, but I hate the hardware and the tuning pegs. I compared this to a B.C. Rich and got this because it costed a lot less. I wish this guitar had a tremelo, that's probably the one thing I want most on it.

I beleive this would be a good guitar for small gigs, but I would not go without a reliable backup. The strap buttons are extremely solid, the hardware is not the greatest but it lasts surprisngly long for the price of the guitar. The finish is good enough to last for a while, but, may need to be replaced with lots of playing. Does not have a pickguard, that's one downside, also the pickup selector I not up by the neck as on most Les Pauls but, it's down by the knobs, also there are only 2 knobs.

The guitar was set up quite well at the factory, the pickups were adjusted fairly well, the action was fine, maybe a little high. The bridge was routed fine, the tuning pegs were a little loose (only the G string one) and the tone knob is loose. The nut is cut fine, the pickup selector is not noisy at all, the strings were already a little bit worn out, nice shiny black finish, but scratches easily, I recommend buying a polish cloth or something. The input jack sometimes falls out, but is not a large problem.

The Epiphone Les Paul Special 2 is a very good beginner guitar. If you're on a tight budget then, this is a perfect guitar for you. The finish is black, has a les paul body style (obviously) it has a tunomatic bidge and a neck and bridge pickup. It has rythm and lead pickup selecter and both pickups. It came with a gig bag. It was made in Indonesia. The body is alder/maple, and the neck is mahogony and rosewood and a rosewood finger board, and 2 humbuckers. 22 normal sized frets.

epi les paul69
    LesPauldude667 wrote: ronan-the-great wrote: dont put those pickups in waste of money on a piece of shit guitar like this. those pickups cost more than the actual guitar Hey ***** i have this exact guitar and model so go play the only instrument you can play , the SKIN FLUTE and screw off, this guitar sounds amazing.
    Ronan is right, this guitar is a piece of poop. Flat top, crap wood, bolt on neck, crap pickups; but hey, it's a 200 dollar guitar; if it even passes as a guitar. Get a standard or studio.
    epi les paul69
    frankthewolfman wrote: would ti be better to go with this or the epiphone lp 100?
    Yes, because the special 2 wont last you very long, and is made out of very cheap hardware, therefore making only good fot a beginers guitar. The lp 100 however is made out of better materials, and is more suited to intermediate players. But for the price, because of its lame pickups and flat top and bolt on neck, I'd fish out an extra few bucks for a lp studio. They're just as good as a standard without the binding, and the trapezoid inlays.
    AllOpenStrings
    i bought this last year for $230 CAD, and i really enjoy it. the distortion is great through my line 6, and so are the cleans so lonag as its on rhythm or middle.... love the neck, pickups are good but i could use some better hardware. highly recommended for a beginner over a squier . i think ive "outgrown" it as a player, so i think ima get an ltd ec-1000 deluxe with the emg 81-60's. anyone got a different recommendation?
    LesPauldude667