Les Paul Special II review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Special II

Purchased from: local pawn shop

I play a lot of Slash-esque riffs, and the special pulls it off rather well. The tonal quality is great, with the wax potted pickups and 500k pots. I get very little hum, and run it thru either a DOD or Zoom pedal hooked to my Crate amp. Harmonics are great, sustain is pretty decent, although my Les Paul kills it on sustain.

All in all, it suits my musical taste. I have 6 other guitars, and this one gets used second to my Les. If stolen I would definitely buy another one. I am considering getting a second one, so I can hot rod this one. I like the color, the shape, the sound, I just wish they had doubled up the vol and tones, but then again, that's a Les. A bigsby would be fun, but as it is, it's a great value.

It would withstand a live gig, however I believe the attendees wouldn't be that thrilled with it. The hardware is pretty fine, although it never hurts to upgrade. The strap buttons are mounted good, albeit a little small. I would definitely consider strap locks. The finish is deep, and glossy. I would bring it to a gig as the backup. If my Les petered out I maybe able to fake it to the end.

The action was very smooth, and the strings very close to the fret board. Pickups needed some finessing. The only issues I noticed was noise from loose strap buttons, and the wires needed trimmed. The wood quality was good, and luckily you can't see any wood, so the finish is impeccable.

I picked up this Epi Special, about 3 months ago.The head is the standard Epi head, and the switches etc, are Gibson. Whether this is true accross the board, I am unsure. it's probably Japan made, although it doesn't state that fact. The neck is Standard 22 fret, with frets thinner than my Strat. The body is alder, the neck is probably maple. I doubt it's mahogany. It's a solid black color with a very high gloss finish. The body is Les Paul style, although it's flat, rather than arched. It has the Tune-O-Matic bridge, and stop bar, identical to most Les Pauls. It comes with two nice humbuckers, stamped Epiphone on the reverse side. Its controls are one volume, 1 tone, with a 3-way switch. Probably not switchcraft though. The pots are indeed 500k Gibson pots. Whether that's the norm, once again, I don't know. It had the regular enclosed cheapo deluxe non locking tuners, but I have since replaced them with a set of chrome grovers. As far as accesories.