Les Paul Special II review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Special II

Purchased from: Music Stop

It suits my music style fairly well, except for the drop-c stuff and real heavy metal stuff like Disturbed and Slipknot, that is what my Ibanez is for. But other than that, it goes very well with my other music which is rock and metal stuff. Using it with Line 6 Spider III on "Insane" mode and cranked up to eleven, this thing kicks butt! The only noise I seem to get, but this is with every other guitar I used on this amp, is on the "Crunch" setting with full Drive. It has that bzzzz noise.

I play lots of heavy rock, heavy metal, and now I am starting to play nu-metal. This is a fairly good match, except for the nu-metal, as previously mentioned. That is what I use my Ibanez for. But this really matches the rock/metal stuff I play. I have 1.9 years experience and I play an Ibanez Gio GSZ120 which is very very nice. I play on a Line 6 Spider III 30 Watt which is very loud. I own a Kustom bass amp which remains unused (sold my bass) and I own a Fender Gemini II 1987 Acoustic.

This guitar definitely could withstand a gig. It seems to be very durable, I just got it yesterday and I already dropped it and smacked it off a wall, accidentally of course. The hardware seems to be able to last, the guitar holds tune fine and the strap buttons seem to be in there pretty good from my understanding. I would use it on a gig without a backup only if I didn't need to play anything played in drop C, like the real heavy stuff like nu-metal, because this guitar doesn't seem to play that genre. But I would definitely gig it with no backups. The finish seems very good and strong, I think it should last a while.

The action was great! It was very very low and really easy to play and move around from fret to fret. The pickups were adjust okay. Not great but okay, but it sounded good in-store so when I got home I adjusted the pickups and now I have the sound I am looking for. Basically the only "flaw" is that there is a scratch that is hardly even noticeable, on a higher up fret area on the neck. But it doesn't affect playability one bit. So technically it is not a flaw. Excellent condition for the price of it.

Made in 2006, my Indonesian-made Epiphone Les Paul Special II has 22 frets on a rosewood neck, bolted to a mahogany body. Stop-bar tail-piece and chrome hardware with Epiphone non-locking tuners. Set up the same as my Ibanez with 700T and 650R pickups, this guitar packs it in! One volume control with 3 way selector, and tone control, however, I wish there was 2 volume controls and tone controls. No whammy bar (I don't use them anyways).

jermzxsugarx
    I have had this guitar for about a year, ive dropped it many times, slammed the headstock into the wall while playing it and it still sounds excellent, it sounds good for most music styles and works great with my boss ds-1 distortion pedal and diplomat amp
    Bloody Impusle
    I got this same guitar for christmas and it is great. except for the fact that when i got it, i had to adjust the pickups on it because they were way to far away from the strings and sounded like crap. but this guitar is very flexible.
    ich-komme
    Korzack wrote: they're about 200 UK. However, you're better off getting s Vintage version of a Les Paul for that money - these are shoddy. Remember tryin one of these out when looking for a cheap upgrade, there's a very good reason why they're 100 cheaper than the rest of the epi range. The pickups are god-awful. Mind you, it is an entry level guitar, so ya pays ya money & ya pays your chances. Personally, i'd go for the vintage version (V99/100 I belive)
    Actually, at the time of writing, they were about 110 if you looked in the right places. They've come down to 99 now mind. So they've basically made the junior obsolete.
    ich-komme
    And another thing, why do people say they were gonna get one of these but got something else cos the specials a piece of shit. Do you not try one out before you decide to get one?
    LoveIsHell
    this is an ok guitar for the price, though id rather get the esp ec-50 for a little bit more...thats a great guitar for a budget price!
    garrett5
    for The price, this guitar is sweet, I picked one up they other day. $150 dollars is hard to beat.
    Snarx
    I just got one and really like it. I'm just a beginer though. I plugged it in to my Fender BXA100 bass amp just for grins and I think it sounds great. I even plugged it into my Digi BP200 pedal and had a blast screwing around. It drove my wife nuts. I only paid 105.00 US so it really is a nice guitar for beginers like myself. I would recommend the Special II for beginers, it's got a good feel and decent action.