Les Paul Special II review by Epiphone

• Reviewer's score: 6.4 Neat
Epiphone: Les Paul Special II

I play mostly blues and classic rock on this guitar. I was fairly happy with the sound and all, keeping in mind with the price. The sound quality wasn't too great either because I was playing through a Marshall MG10. If you put it through I good amp, it sounded pretty good for the price range. The harmonics weren't that great, but that's mostly in the pickups. This would sound a lot better going through a better amp and a pickup switch.

I played mostly classic rock and blues on this guitar. It was a great match. For a starter guitar, the quality is fairly good, however, you could find better. If you go for a low end Ibanez, Schecter, or maybe even Squier could be comparable to this. It was also hard to get quality tone because there was only one tone knob. If I did have to pick a starter guitar for someone to start with, this would be one of my first choices. Do beware of the nut though.

This is where I have a problem. The nut wouldn't stand up to a show playing. I couldn't play for a decent amount of time without a strign snapping because of the nut. It was cheap plastic. THE NUT IS AWFUL! Bottom line. The strap buttons were pretty bad too, my strap would continuously fall off. This finish was great, it wouldn't chip. So when it comes to reliability and durability, this guitar is very low quality.

The action was decent, but it did have a bit high action, which I'm not too fond of. Keep in mind this wasn't properly set up as it was a starter guitar. The electronics aren't great on this. Like I said before, the guitar would sound a lot better with a pickup Switch. The tuners were actually great on this, I was suprised. The nut on the other hand was awful. It looked like cheap plastic, not good at all. The finishes this guitar comes in are great, the Vintage sunburst looks insane, I strongly encourage it.

This is your Standard staerter guitar. Not too much going on, a normal Tune-O-Matic bridge with the stop bar and tail piece. I got the Vintage sunburst with chrome hardware, it was a sexy looking guitar if you ask me. The only controls are one pickup selector Switch, one volume, and one tone knob. They have an rosewodd fretboard with 22 frets. Other than that, not too much going on.