Les Paul Special II review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Special II

Purchased from: www.gak.co.uk

I play most styles that fall under rock. Mainly metal, punk and blues, lots of Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Metallica and this guitar handles each very well. It sounds amazing given it's price when I play it with my Vox ADVT-30, and I can use my DigiTech Grunge pedal with it for extra distortion, but it does tend to hiss quite a lot, this could be due to the pedal or the amp though. It has a nice acousticy sound clean as well. I mainly play it in treble, and it gives a good full sound, handling distortion very well. It suits my styles, and can make a wide range of sounds from thick heavy overdrive to all out scream with the right effects. Excellent sound given it's price, and very versatile.

This guitar is a good match for me, as it can adapt to most styles, and often surprises me with its versatile sound. I have been playing it for a year now, and while I previously played it with an ancient Marshall Reverb 12 it did not perform nearly as well as it has been with the Vox ADVT-30, so I would definitley recommend it with a quality amp. If it were lost or stolen, I'd be pretty upset, but might consider something like an Epiphone SG rather than buy another one. The things I like about it are it's looks, and it's awesome sound as well as it's unusual colour. I don't like the weight of it though, and the neck is a bit too thick for my liking. I sometimes wish it had some more features, but for the price you can hardly complain. An ideal choice for beginners I'd say.

I would say the guitar could quite easily withstand Live playing, although I would definatley have a backup. The hardware is very sturdy chrome, although it could chip I would say it will last the lifetime of the guitar, and the strap buttons are rock-solid. It's a very hard wearing guitar, I have dropped it and knocked it several times to no I'll effect, other than some minor aesthetic damage in the finish. The finish is relatively easy to scratch, but I don't think it would wear off easily. All the same I would buy products to take care of the finish as it is a really nice colour.

When I got the guitar, I did not have to make any alterations. It was very well set up at the factory, with a nice action, and I did not need to change the strings. There were some fine hair-like scratches in the finish, which was strange considering how well it had been packaged for transit, but other than that, it was fine.

This guitar was made in China, I am not sure when. It has a fairly thick neck with 22 jumbo frets. Laminated Alder, in Wine Red with a Mahogany/Rosewood neck. Features the classic Les Paul body style with a Tune-O-Matic/Stopbar tailpiece and tone and volume knobs and a 3-way pickup Switch. The Pickups are open-coil Alnico V Humbuckers. A low-quality cable was included with the guitar.

Kynyster_K
    my friend has on of these, but the back pickup stopped working after like a month... when he switches the 3 way switch to the back pup, it dont make a sound...
    Rocker Extreme
    ripjoestrummer wrote: I was gonna ge this guitar, but I got a telecaster custom instead. And I'm very happy with it. this guitar is a piece of shit.
    Excuse me, but if u didn't get the guitar, how do u know it's that bad, it's actually a great guitar in my point of view, and it's pretty obvious that u don't know what ur talking about, so shut up! I'm tired of ur kind of people, y did u even got to the review if didn't like the guitar and wasn't even thinking of buying it?.....There...I said it
    CryingAlone
    GenocideMetalhe wrote: i have a question about this guitar: could you get any pinch harmonics with the stock pickups?
    I can with the bridge humbucker, its all technique
    |\puto_rodas/|
    I was going to say exacly the same, it's way amost impossible to get any pinches with the nec pU, easier at both selector, and sweet in bridge Pu, Im satisfied with this guitar since i can play malmsteen on it, but I really need to shred on something more... "soft"... anyway, first guitar, Love it, specially for d price!
    jon3782001
    This was my first guitar also, I put a Fender strat neck on it, looks silly but holds the tune perfectly. Great for Oasis and early nineties music then you can just stick it into a marshall and stick overdrive on and there's your classic rock tone! 10/10 for this personally.
    kari king
    The special 2 is unquestionably the best guitar ever produced for sound, playability and finish irrelivent of price or make truly the guitar of choice for the professional musician
    Rocker Extreme