Les Paul Special II review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Special II

Price paid: € 149

Purchased from: Music Store Cologne

First I wanted to buy me a super cheap Strat copy, but then I watched a movie where someone plays a les paul and instantly fell in love with the LP shape. I play a lot of things, but mostly rock and blues. The two humbuckers of this guitar are pretty excellent for the type of music I play and because I didn't have enough money for a more expensive one, I decided to buy this one. As this is my first electric guitar, I can't say much about the sound compared to other instruments but all I can say is, it meets my requirements. It has a pretty sweet clean sound and a high output, which makes it easy to plug it into the PC and have a little, unamplified jam at night. Due to the humbuckers, there is not really a noticeable background noise. When I plug it into the amp (Line6 Spider III 15), it gets loud and awesome, even though I wish the amp had some more bass. What I like about this guitar, I can play blues, rock, metal and clean stuff without any problems.

The humbuckers definitely match the type of music I am playing and the les paul shape is pure love for my eyes. After about six months of playing, it still is in very good shape, but I expect it to stay with me forever (its my first electric guitar so it has to keep a spot inside my heart! ) so lets talk again in 20 years from now. If it would be stolen or something, I would probably wait until I have more money and buy an Epiphone G400 but that's only due to me finding SGs more sexy at the moment. I wish it was white, but it's not that this can not be changed, right?

After six months, everything is still in place and except for the dust (which is damn annoying on a solid black body), it still looks like when I first opened the box to see it. I bet some more expensive guitars would already have taken a beat or serious scratches or something. Rock solid.

When I first got it, it was alright, until I read how to check the action and setup. Then I decided I wanted to get more out of it. I adjusted the neck angle, the pickups and the action, put new strings on it. Now it's as good as it can get for this low price. Unfortunately the fretboard has some flaws but I guess I got what I paid for. After six months or so, the pickup selector Switch got a little noisy but only if I change the pickups which doesn't happen that often. Overall, I'm pretty happy with this instrument and right now, I'm collecting money to buy me a second guitar, which will be Epiphone again.

2007 in Indonesia, 22 frets, rosewood fretboard, Dot inlays, Solid ebony body, Tune-O-Matic bridge, 1 volume and 1 tone control, 3 way selector, 2 open coil pickups.