Les Paul Special II review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Special II

Purchased from: E-Bay

I play mostly Hard Rock to Light Metal, and this guitar ROCKS for that. I play with a fairly expensive Digitex digital foot-pedal, and with a slight reverd, it'll make any note sounds authentic and like an actual Les Paul. It had a rich, long sustaining sound to it, that's come to be expected of Gibson, or any sub-company of Gibson. The variety of sounds this guitar can put out is almost limit-less, Switch to the top humbucker for a blues feel and throw it down the bottom for some crunchy Hard Rock and Metal tunes. Pinches are a bit hard to do on this guitar, but when you do hit that pinch, you and everyone else will hear it!

Like I said, I play mostly Hard Rock to Light Metal, so this guitar is perfect for the sound that I'm looking for. I've been playing now for about 3 months, and honestly, this guitar inspired me to play even more, it keeps you coming back for more. I own a Squire Stratocaster, a Vox pocket amp, an Ibanez Toneblaster, and an HOB-E Guitar. If this guitar was stolen, I'd be very upset, and I'd probably buy it again, because of the overall quality of the guitar and the price that was tagged with it. I love this guitar for it's long sustaining notes, diverse sound, and beautiful shape. I compared this guitar to the LTD EC-50 and found that this guitar has as good a sound, if not better, than the EC-50. I highly reccommend this guitar to novices and veterans alike, simply a fantastic instrument for it's price.

I have not tried this baby Live, but I've dropped this thing a couple of times, and the finish isn't going anywhere, scratches are nearly un-noticeable on the off-white color. The hardware seems like it will last a while, nothin' is coming loose, and I play with the volume knob and selector while I sustain some notes, and they always are responsive and solid. The strap buttons are great, even when I push down on the guitar does the strap never come off the buttons. Personally, when I start gigging, I would have a back-up just in case.

Guitar was very well set up, no flaws what-so-ever. The top humbucker, I'll admit, was a tad loose, but once tightened, I didn't have anymore problems with it. Absolutely a flawless guitar. The wood-quality was fantastic, tuning pegs were solid as well as the knobs and selector. The only problem I had with the initial guitar was the string tension, very high. I would reccomend that once you buy this fantastic instrument, you replace the strings.

This guitar was set up in America, 22 fat frets, Rosewood fingerboard, solid top. Off-white finish, Classic Les Paul body, Tune-o-Matic bridge, Active Electronics, One tone knob, one Volume knob, 3 way selector, 2 humbuckers. Beautiful guitar, fans of Les Pauls will feel right at home holding the guitar, off-white guitar is GORGEOUS, defenitely a classy looking instrument. Wine-Red is good looking too, and the two tone burst finish is a real looker as well.

ken20008
    im nowhere near the beginner stage, but still a student and very poor ): was thinking of getting this. but seeing the comments....im better off with some ibanez or tele copy i found in a store.
    nickyg44
    black_sabbath12 wrote: about 3 monthes ago i went to Florida and when i was there i got a Les Paul Special 2 for $160 american. best thing i ever bought, before this all i had was a behringer strat from a pawn shop.i would recommend this guitar for anybody, it has great ditortion on any kind of amp.anyways, anybody looking for a cheap guitar with a great look and a great sound get a Les Paul!!!
    i completely agree it is a little heavy but it has an awesome tone. one thing though my neck had a bow in it which is something you can fix and it causes a little string raddle. it isn't a minor problem at all because it fits in the category of tuning your guitar you just adjust a little bit and bam sounds great. I highly recommend this guitar to a beginner or even to bruce springsteen
    sogetsu527
    i have a buzz problem on the low E and the first few frets of the A string does anyone know how to fix this issue?? Other than that it is a phenomenal guitar.
    museiscool
    I have it and its awesome the only issue i have with it is that the g-string machine head has something loose in it.. gotta get that replaced.. otherwise its an awesome guitar
    mondo83xx
    I owned this guitar for about a month. Was cool for the price but it just didn't have any GO to it. I did like the clean sound tho. Almost sounded acoustic. But for a soloing and thrashing I'd give it a miss. I recommend this guitar to kids who are just starting out on the guitar. Its light and has a slim neck. Bargain for the money but more exp guitarists should look elsewhere.
    azisnomarsa
    Hmm, I am just considering buying this baby, after reading these reviews, I realize I have no choice but to do so. Because this looks just awesome.
    Morbius77
    Funny, I found one of these in the trash in the alley behind the dormitories at the local university the other day. Had a big chip in the finish by the input jack, and the strings were rusted. I plugged it in just to see if it would work, and lo and behold...It did... So I got one for free. I had some spare Duncans laying around, so I gutted the old electronics, replaced everything, changed the tuners, changed the tailpiece and the bridge, hardware and all. Replaced the selector switch, the input jack, the pots, gave it a new nut. Reworked the frets, cleaned the fretboard and oiled it (needed that BAAAAAD ), and gave it a good intonation set, adjusted the truss rod, and BAM... DECENT playable guitar that cost me all of $50 worth of parts. (I get a lot of freebies from a buddy that works at a luthier's shop) I let a guy play it yesterday, and he offered me $300 for it... So when everyone decides to throw these away... I will salvage the hell out of them and make some cash.