Les Paul Special II review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Special II

Purchased from: The Guitar center

I play mostly rock, and alternative rock and this guitar is well suited for both I'm sure a little bit of jazz could be pulled off with the right amp. I am currently using a Line 6 Spider III 15 watt and a Boss ds-1 pedal. The guitar is fine not much static but sometimes you get some feed back if you leave it lying around.but plenty of fret buzz at the 8/9 fret depending on where your saddle is. You can get plenty of sounds with this guitar. You can play anything from Taylor swift on clean to dragon force on insane. Variety? Enough said.

Thias guitar over al if great not awesome but great. You can't find a more reliable guitar in the price range I've been playing for about 3 years soon. I own a couple othe guitars but this one is definately my favorite. Make sure you get them to set it up for you in the shop before taking it home. If it were stolen or lost I'd be devastated. One thind I love is the neck. The frets are all aligned near perfectly so I don't have to worry about getting blisters between my thumb and fore finger(plus I'm ocd). Switch gets a bit trippy you might say after leaving it on rhythm for more than a week and then switching to treble. I wish it had the full Les Paul Standard electronics configuration but hey it's cheap reliable and it works so no complaints.

Live playing is not a problem I've done it before and actually ended up with money in my case while playing waitin for afriend. This guitar is great but first of buy new strings (Ernie Ball ftw) and probably new pickups to get better tone.The strap buttons should be replaced with strap locks this guitar is very heavy and 4 minutes after I first played it the guitar fell into my hands. I'd definately depend on this guitar given the pros and cons. The finish can withstand anything short of a projectile the size of a nokia cell phone(I now have a good 1mm sizd chip in the fnnish)

The action from the factory leaves you with a little bit of fret buzz. The the guitar contained only one miniscule flaw, a small flake in the finish about 2 1/2 milimeteres in diameter. The bridge seemed to be in plase well and the top was beautiful in terms of the wood and the finish they appled.

This is a decent guitar if you're ona tight budget like me. It has 22 Frets with mother of pearl Dot inlays.it's a solid top as far as I'm aware. The body is Basswood and the neck is mohogany (bolt on). The finish I purchaced was tobacco sunburst.The body stylee is the typical les paul style; single cutaway, Dreadnaught-ISH, wide body but not the same electronic layout as Les Paul Standard models. It hass a Tune-O-Matic bridge that makes string changing less time consuming then a string-thru style bridge. The pickupe are Standard pickups (700T/650R), Passive humbucking pickups (don't know if there is a difference between that and a humbuckER). You don't get much in the way of controls you get one volume and one tone knob as well as a pickup selecter Switch inbetween the two knobs.The tuners are Standard nonlocking Epiphone tuners and do give trouble for a while but take it from an owner patience pays, they just need to be broken in. I don't know about anyone elses but mine came with a 8 foot amp jack(cable).

inferno34
    I'm looking at this guitar for my first guitar since I have just basic knowledge of how to play one. Here where I live these go for 220$ its one of the cheapest (the Epiphone Les Paul Studio is 440$ wich is on par with Amazon.com prices but I don't really want to shell out alot of $ on a guitar when I'm starting out, sadly not alot of selection where I live for guitars here (for cheap beginner ones)
    Skatar119
    I bought this guitar as a begginer and I tihnk its a pretty good guitar at a good price I got this guitar for 150$
    SocialismCross
    I had this guitar for a while, and it's not bad at all for the price. And i got an advice: This guitar, like many cheap guitars, sometimes have defects with the finish, hardware, or strap buttons...so if you have that when the guitar is brand new, just get it to where you got it from, and show them you're not satisfied, and you want it fixed, they are gonna fix it for free, for you, because it's not your fault that a brand new guitar got a problem. And that's what i've done.
    SocialismCross
    When i first got it, 1 of the strap buttons was really loose, and that wasn't ok, so i just got it to the store i got it from, and they fixed that. that simple.
    SocialismCross
    fixed it for free, because i got it from them, then it got defects. NOT MY FAULT. cheap guitar = low quality, NOT "not functioning guitar".