Les Paul Special II review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Special II

It is really good for beginners, Who want to venture into the realm of good old rock. Plays classic rock well, sustain is there, great solos out of it. It is rather versatile, can do punk and metal, but I wouldn't recommend it for country and blues (check out the fenders). I play for my own interest, I use a extremely small 10watt Epiphone studio amp, doesn't disturb others. The adjustment of the tone knob on the sound of the guitar is coarse, but it really packs a punch with great distortion and gain. It can really get the twang, especially with the bridge pickup. All in all it is worth the money, great for starters, even intermmediate. After all, you don't have spend tonnes of money to get a good guitar.

It is good for me, I play hard rock, classic rock, and punk. I've been playing guitar for about 3 years now, but only picked up this baby last yr. If stolen, I might buy it again (in a different colour) or might try checking out a Les Paul 100 or SG Special. I was on a budget when I got this, but paid off well, compared it to low end Ibanez and Cort guitars, like the feel of this the best. Les paul never fail to give the chunky rock tone.

The toggling between pickups worries me, but I'm sure it can play Live, extremely durable. Strap on buttons haven't given me any problems so far, I'd probably have a backup if on a gig as precaution, but not saying that the special 2 won't do it's work. In a nutshell it lasts, it lasts.

The set up out of the box was so-so. Not the well done, strings a little high off the fretboard and the strings itself were not that good. But after some adjustments, I could just plug it in and jam away. However, I have problems with the pickup selector Switch. Sometimes when switching to hit a solo or something, it just cuts off, no sounds (especially when changing to bridge pickup). So that aspect is not thet great. It does buzz quit abit, noisy and all. But still looks and sounds great.

I've had this Epiphone Les Paul Special 2 for around half a year now. Mine's black (ebony that's what they call it). Made in indonesia. The body is a basswood body, with a mahogany (bolt) and a rosewood Dot inlays. It is extremely glossy so it is easy to get fingerprints on it. Features a tune-o-matic bridge, stopbar tailpiece. Two alnico V open coil humbuckers (700T, 650R). Two knobs, one volume one tone, but its really sufficient for a starter, worth the money. Chrome hardware, from bridge to tuners. Got a package with a gigbag, strap cable and stuff

Thnder1nYourEar
    A good starter guitar, but I couldn't keep mine for longer than six months due to the lower-quality workmanship restrictions (ie, high fret access, note sustain, and neck width). But not a bad guitar at all, I enjoyed putting stickers all over it, as a 16-year-old.