Les Paul Special II review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Special II

Purchased from: Local Pawn Shop

I usually play harder rock and metal, ranging from Breaking Benjamin to All That Remains, and I have to say, this guitar can play it all. When I want to play something really heavy, I use a ModTone Speedbox and a cheapo overdrive pedal and run it through a cheap little Yamaha 30v amp, and it sounds simply amazing. If you flip the Switch on the guitar to the "rhythm" side, it adds a little more crunch to chords, and the "lead" side makes higher pitched notes sound clearer. For the softer stuff, I just use the overdrive pedal and max it out. It still sounds good, but it's also a little flat. If I just use the Speedbox (with it turned down a little), it does the same thing, so I guess that's probably my crappy amp. Basically it sounds nice no matter what you play.

For the price, this guitar is amazing. I have no complaints on the sound or look. Again, it does get out of tune easilly, but that's really the only problem. It can take a beating, and is probably good for Live shows. It's also a little heavy, but you should expect that with a LP. I would've been happy with another fret or 2, but I can just bend the string if I really want a 22nd fret. I've been playing guitar for about 2 years now, but I've played lots of different brands and styles of guitar, and this is probably the best budget guitar I've played. So if you're low on money and want a good guitar, do yourself a favor and buy this one.

This thing can take one hell of a beating. I've dropped it, smacked it into a wall, fell on top of it (and I weigh about 250lbs), and it still hasn't broke. Still works like the day I bought it. So I'm sure that it'd be great to use in a gig, although I havn't had a chance to try it yet. The finish also doesn't have any dings or scratches, which is suprising with how rough I am with it. You'll have to clean it often if you leave it sitting out, though, as it's a dust magnet. I'd probably call this the most reliable guitar I've ever played. It'd probably take 3 or 4 swings to smash at then end of a song.

The guitar came with everything intact and almost properly adjusted. I just had to tighten the stap buttons and the pickups were a little loose. But before I noticed these problems I could still play it without it falling apart. Also there is nothing around the knob to help you know what your tuned to (I.e. You can tell if it's set to 3 or 5), so you'll have to take a sharpie or something and put a little mark on it. The only problem that I don't know how to fix is with the tuning pegs, they're too loose (as I said before) and I need to tighten them. I can probably discover this by googling it, but for now it's just loose. Very few problems, and even those are minimal.

I found this at a pawn shop and couldn't pass it up. I'd been wanting a LP for a good while. Being Epiphone, I wasn't expecting all the features of a real LP, but it still holds up suprisingly well. The neck is made of maple with 21 frets. There are two control knobs and one 3-way Switch, the knobs controling volume and tone (but they're not labeled). It has 2 hambucker pickups, one on the bridge and one on the neck. The tuners are a little too easy to turn, but that can be fixed with some minor adjusting, and they're non-locking. It also came with a case. Came with crappy strings, too, but they broke after 2 hours of playing. All in all very feature-filled for the low budget price.

Armagedden66
    Holy Reviews, looks to me like alot of people own it, im surprised i saw the review just today
    Trfsrfr
    Heres my take on it. I picked one up for 40 bucks. I normally play Ibanez and Jacksons, but I didnt have a rig without a locknut so I decided it would be cool to change tunings easily. I also have been playing for 20+ years. This thing is an okay starter guitar. The tuning pegs suck, and it is made from plywood. I know this because I relocated the pickup selector switch to where the Les Paul's are located. The action can be set to be quite playable I have found. The best thing about this guitar is the bridge pickup. It really sounds better than most of my other guitars (although I just picked up an X2N but havent installed it yet in my Ibanez). I have actually considered stealing this bridge pickup and putting it in my RG570. Also, I am so used to having the cutaway for your right arm, that it is really uncomfortable for me to play. Other than that, when I plug it into my Marshal 1/2 stack, it rips. Until it goes out of tune 30 seconds later. I think if I were to put a nice set of tuners on it, and take a power tool to it to remove the wood where my right arm likes to rest, it would be a kickass piece of plywood. I'll probably do that. It was worth my $42.00 dollars I paid for it.