Les Paul Special II review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Special II

Purchased from: Musicians Pro

First off, I play technical death metal and grindcore, so I'm biased. But it does actually sound pretty great out of my 12 watt practice amp. It will play just about anything, Hotel California, Metallica, The Faceless, you name it. I don't use any effects just the distortion and tone controls on my amp. The guitar is a bit noisy, but I think that's because of my terrible amp and cable. It has quite a bright sound when clean, a little darker in overdrive. The harmonics on this guitar could be better, but that's ok.

For death metal and the sort, I wouldn't really recommend this guitar, but to regular rock, oldies metal, and blues, it's a can't miss opportunity for the price. I have been playing electric guitar for close to a year now, asnd I use no other gear that isn't previously described. Umm... at the moment I'm about to buy a Schecter Damien 6 guitar, so if I lost or this got stolen, I wouldn't mind that much. I love how versatile it is. I hate the broken bridge pickup. My favorite feature is probably the body wood, because of how light it is. I compared this guitar to a Warlock silver series, a Jackson Kelly, and an ESP KH-20. I chose this one because it is about $300 cheaper. I do wish it had EMG's but I'm to cheap to buy them

For Live playing I would probably not use this guitar, just because when I play Live, I jump around and the guitar is pretty thin. The hardware is pretty great on the guitar actually. My only complaint, however, is that my bridge pickup will cut in and out and sometimes not work at all. Remember though, I bought it used. Strap buttons are great, haven't worn out at all. I would not use this guitar Live, but it's because of my damaged bridge pickup, and the guitar is used, so I don't think it came that way. My finish is scratched on the back all the way to the wood, because somebody played my guitar without permission with a belt on. But the finish has lasted quite a while besides that.

I can't say, bought it used. The action was perfect when I bought it though. I had to raise the pickups quite a bit, but that's not a problem. The only flaw is that the fret's are raised a small bit near the high e string. But that was probably cause by the previous owner. Also, the G-string tuner is kind of loose.

I believe this is one of the newer 2006 models. 22 small/medium frets, rosewood fingerboard. The neck is kinda thin for my taste but good. It is a solid-top guitar. Umm the body is basswood, so it is very light-weight, which is a plus. The finish is gloss black and holds up very well. It is a Les Paul stylre guitar with a tune-o-matic bridge. Passive electronics, (Alnico humbuckers.) There's 1 volume, 1 tons and a 3-way pickup selector. It's got bridge/neck pickup config. The tuners are Standard Epiphone tuners.

cokehit
    ive had mine for about 9 years now. if you are completely new to guitar and dont have the cash for anything else, its not a bad place to start. but within a year or two i was havig problems (eletronics went out, tuners wore out very fast). you will out grow this fast (for serious players). for everyone else, knock yourslef out.