Les Paul Special II review by Epiphone

• Reviewer's score: 6.4 Neat
Epiphone: Les Paul Special II

Purchased from: Craigslist

Surprisingly the sound coming from the basswood isn't as bad as I would've thought. This guitar is my only guitar at the current moment but I have played everything from low end guitars to high-end Les Paul Customs. I currently just use the guitar for recording and playback via my Line 6 Guitar Port. The pickups do grab a bit extra unwanted noise, and even though you can use a noise gate/reducer in some situations... It ends up taking away a lot of the bite. The harmonics are still very good even with the mentioned limitations. I'd say this guitar puts out a very solid rock sound but is still only mediocre at best for heavy rock or metal.

I tend to lean on the heavy rock/heavy metal side of the guitariverse, but it works well for me. It keeps things simple, just how I like them. I've been playing for over 6 years now and this is one of the better feeling guitars I have played. Unfortunately if it were lost or stolen I wouldn't buy another one as I believe it would be time to try out a different model.

As I said in the features section, this guitar still feels like a quality instrument. I make no bones about it, I would feel comfortable playing this guitar Live and it feels like it could last a very long time under the correct care. The strap buttons though, I would replace those before playing too much Live as they are a bit flimsy.

Unfortunately I didn't purchase this guitar from the factory so I only know the condition in which it was given to me in, and it was set-up really well. It felt a bit stock so perhaps the original owner didn't tinker with it too much. The action is probably the main feature on this guitar that I love. You can glide up and down the fretboard with ease. Unfortunately the thin fretboard does hold you back from a lot of non-power chord driven songs.

This Les Paul Special II was manufactured in 2007 in Indonesia. It has 22 frets (a little thin) on a Rosewood Fretboard. This model has the Ebony finish on a basswood body. The bridge and stop piece is the Tun-O-Matic and comes with 1 volume knob, and 1 tonal knob (with a three-way Switch) to control the 700T(bridge) and 650R(neck) passive pickups. The features as you would expect from a low-level Epiphone, but they aren't too bad. You can still feel a bit of quality while playing.

Mindcrime27
    A little confused here someone mentioned that it was made out of crap wood....mine is out of Mahogany body and a Bolt-on neck mahogany neck...ehh what do I know perhaps people just think more money is gonna make them a better player.
    Not.the.same.
    i'm beginner- dont know much abt electric guitars but played quite a few times in studios. decided to get one for myself. i play mostly rock and a bit of pop(?). should i get this guitar or the Ibanez GRG270??
    WatUWant???
    The new Epiphone les paul special 2 GT is out. It has a whammy bar, pearloid inlays and other such bonus stuffs crammed into it. Can someone please tell me if they've heard of it before? Also, please tell me which one is better (preferably if you've played on them both yourself). Doesn't a whammy bar make your guitar go outta tune faster or something like that? PLEASE PEOPLE!!! HELP ME OUT HERE!! tanx
    wahain
    Thanx I am thinking about buying one for 459 Nz $ and I think your review was really helpful
    ejk97
    TaylorsEpiphone wrote: I have an epiphone les paul special II, its amazing-period. no complaints. The only thing that i am wondering is if you can install a whammy bar on it (no special things added to the guitar- just the guitar as it comes stock and the whammy bar). if somebody could respond to this soon i would appreciate it very much!
    I Have 1 and no soz man they released a LP special GT which has a whammy bar n loads of stuff i use a strat if i want whammy but LP's r much more awesome shredders!!!!!
    EdweirdoG
    I have this guitar and honestly its a piece of sh*t. For 160 I could have gotten a decent guitar from Rondo. The electronics suck, the finish is awful, the low e buzzes (and yes I have set up right) and one of the pickups broke. But I guess some people like it. Just try it first.
    alextetzloff
    okay so i have a epiphone les paul ii vintage with a black and gold finish with gold pick ups and i cant find this guitar any where with gold pickups now iam only 14 and this guitar was gotting in a trade for some olf car stuff so help me out here with all this i wanna know if this guitar has been changed or if it is like a limited edition please help!!!!