Les Paul Special II review by Epiphone

• Reviewer's score: 5.4 Decent
Epiphone: Les Paul Special II

Price paid: € 140

Purchased from: Thomann.de

I bought this guitar because I like classic Rock/hard rock, but I can also play pretty much anything else. I don't play metal though. This was my first guitar and I used it in a shitty Fender Frontman 15G which definitely didn't help! But I also gave it a try with my new tube amp (laney cub 10), and it still sounded pretty bad. This guitar can do clean sounds, but nothing that impressive, and it handles medium gain (think AC/DC). But with a bit of gain, once you try to do more than a power chord it really lacks definition and sounds mudy. Those are definitely cheap humbuckers! Don't expect getting a great tone out of this guitar. It can do both cleans and distrortion (I used it with Big muff pi too), but both not that well...

Seriously you get what you paid for, but in this case, a lot of what you payed is the LP look. This guitar doesn't sound that good, and doesn't look as good as on the pictures. For the price it probably have a nice versatility, not sure you can find something much better at 140 euros in europe. On the ohter hand, I would really recommend paying a couple of hundreds more if you can afford and get something that will last you a bit longer. Cause as soon as you can play a bit, you'll want to change this guitar. At least I really wish I had paid a bit more for something better!

I don't play live, and I only kept this guitar for 9 monthes before selling it. It seemed pretty solid, but I would sometimes get weird noises for no reason. This is definitely a practice guitar. At leat it doesn't seem like to break anywhere because it's just really thick overall. Beware, the strap buttons were too small so depending on the strap you'd use, it would easilly fall.

The action of this guitar was pretty damn high, but on the other hand I'm not sure it go that much lower since I would allready get fret buzz sometimes. The stocks strings broke after a few weeks only and they really had bad tone compared to the 10-46 dunlops I used after. By the way the neck is really think and the acess of the last frests is allmost impossible in my opinion. And also the inotnation past the 12th fret is really wrong. This guitar would probably have been better after being professionnally set-up, but considering the price the guitar has costed me and the price of the set up in switzerland, it wasn't worth it.

I don't think I really have to detail all the specifications of that guitar since it's the same made in China LP special 2 that everyone has been reviewing here. Mine had the Heritage cherry sunburst finish, which by the way looks a lot better on pictures that it does for real. Once you have it in your hands, you'll see it look fake and also how flat the body is. It still doesn't look that bad for the price though. I also got to mention that the tune-o-matic bridge was really shard, my strings would break pretty often at bridge's height because of that. Oh and by the way, the tuners really suck, just by looking at them it'll go out of tune. That really was pretty annoying. Of course nothing you can't live with, but they really feel like cheap tuners!

MarkoakaNiggaK
    ken20008 wrote: im nowhere near the beginner stage, but still a student and very poor ): was thinking of getting this. but seeing the comments....im better off with some ibanez or tele copy i found in a store.
    Dude i understand you about a heavy financial status but don`t write of a good guitar if u didn`t try it... If u get an cheap ibanez ur going or strat copy is ok but for the price of this one and the sweet sound that it has u should relay think twice. I started playing guitar with an cheap acoustic, after a year bought my first ibanez (GAX 30) and a year after a grg250...i can say that this guitar is way better then any other in the range of 200$...after my next gig i`ll be buying this cause it`s cheap and has a gr8 sound...
    Sakke
    AllOpenStrings wrote: i bought this last year for $230 CAD, and i really enjoy it. the distortion is great through my line 6, and so are the cleans so lonag as its on rhythm or middle.... love the neck, pickups are good but i could use some better hardware. highly recommended for a beginner over a squier . i think ive "outgrown" it as a player, so i think ima get an ltd ec-1000 deluxe with the emg 81-60's. anyone got a different recommendation?
    Distortion is good through line 6? Oh come on,even I know from a personal experience that line 6 distortion sucks.. You can't be serious,Mr.No Picture,you must be trolling.
    bearsfan092
    Yeah, the guitar isn't handling up as well now after about 10 months of playing a lot. The switch is a little flimsy, causing pickups to go silent, and I'm really learning to hate this string buzz. 5/10. The reviews on this site are really biased.