Les Paul Special II review by Epiphone

• Reviewer's score: 4 Poor
Epiphone: Les Paul Special II

Purchased from: imuso.co.uk

Sound was pretty crude and raw without any real finesse unless colume (gann) was wound back a fair way. I use a Peavey 50W amp which works well with my other guitars. One plus point - the guitar was silent when plugged in (although actually plugging it in was very difficult, as I'll explain later).

Looked good but was basically very poor in two key areas. A typical low-end Epiphone. I'd never advise buying one unless you give it a lengthy and tough test in the shop - even then, I'd recommend paying a bit more and getting a much better quality instrument.

I doubt that the guitar would have stood up to much heavy use without changing the tuners and the jack socket. I didn't keep it long enough to find out as I felt that I could never be able to trust it. In a fit of generosity, I donated it to my local Oxfam shop.

Finish was good as was the action but there were two HUGE negatives. (1) The tuners were rubbish and I was having to tweak the tuning almost every day without ever moving the guitar into different rooms or temeperature zones. Poor tuners seem to be perrenial problem with Epis. (2) The jack socket was a nightmare. To get the jackplug to engage and stay connected I had to use unreal amounts of force or it just popped out. The thing was clearly never tested.

Bought 2010 and made in same year. Standard LP-style 22 fret body without contours. (ie: flat slab top, exactly as originally preferred by Les Paul). Two pickups, 3 position switch and single volume and tone controls. No accessories included. Out of curiosity I removed the coverplate to check the wiring and found that to be rather sloppy so I was surprised that the instrument was silent and click-free. (Not sure how long that situation would last). The tune-o-matic bridge worked well which is just as well - as you'll see in a later comment.

BOYERxBREAKDOWN
    The only problem I have with this guitar is the switch. Sometimes when I switch it to treble and i have the gain on, it will go clean. But I still love this guitar.
    HavokStrife
    These reviews are hilarious. They make the thing out like it's a Gibson or something. Lemme say that I owned the guitar for a year or two, and it was a piece of junk, it came out of tune all the time, it sounded like crap, the input jack would always get loose, and I was very happy when I finally ditched it for my first Jackson. That being said, I'd still take it over Squier or equally crappy strat any day of the week! Good first guitar, jack the action up and get some finger strength!