Les Paul Special II review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Special II

Purchased from: Gear For Music

This guitar is perfect for my music style, punk to metal. I use a Peavey bandit 112 (redline) and they work well together. There is no real hum from the pickups and it gives a very full sound that is perfect for rhythm guitar. Having said this it is also a very versatile guitar I have played heavy metal finger tapping solos with it along with pinch harmonics, which it excells in. The only downside is the humbuckers can sometimes be too "rhythmy" and this limits the top end sound when soloing.

As I said previously this is a perfect guitar for any budding rockers out there maybe as a stepping stone though not a lifelong companion I don't think. Personally I find this guitar perfect for a green day sort of sound but I get all sorts out of it. I have been playing 3 years now and I own 2 epi Les Paul Special 2's (That is how good they are! One Vintage sunburst and one white), a Peavey Generation EXP ACM telecaster, a Encore Stratocaster copy (first guitar) and my custom accoustic. If it was stolen I would personally kill the person who stole it and then get it back. I love how reliable and well suited this guitar is to me and I also love the look how plain it is, no pick guard and 3 controls. I hate nothing about this guitar the only irritance is that the lower frets can be harder to access but this is just down to the shape. I compared it to an epi Les Paul JR the same with one pick up, I picked this one cause of the extra pick up. I also compared it to a squire Telecaster that lost out cause of its lack of humbuckers. In this price range this is the best guitar you can buy for this style of music so lets hear it for epi's unsung hero! I just wish it had better tuners!

The guitar will withstand gigging I can say this for a fact because I have done several gigs with it myself. The hardwear will last but may need tweaking over time however as I have said its an easy job. The stock strap buttons were solid however my antics on stage tend to mean that I need strap locks which I have fitted. The finish is relativly thick I know this for a fact as I have chipped the headstock by turning into a wall (dumb I know) this chip is down to the wood and I can see a thick finish in between. I would and have gigged this guitar without a backup and I hhave depended on it for just over a year now. I have recently bought another guitar simply cause I wanted a more diverse rig so this Telecaster will add to my stage set.

The factory set up of this guitar was virtually perfect the action was ever so slightly high but a quick job to sort, the pickups were a tad low for my taste so I raised them again another easy job. The finish of this guitar is great (Vintage Sunburst)apart from the fingermarks. The hardwear has stayed as good as new and the only problem is that one of the control knobs has become wobbly and loose but it has no effect on the playing. This is a guitar that can be easily worked on and fixed me and my band often refer to it as the AK47 cause it is so reliable.

This guitar was made in China as far as I am aware, it has 22 jumbo frets and a rosewood fretboard. It has a mahogany neck bolted on to a mahogany body. There is the classical Les Paul tune-o-matic bridge and 2 passive humbuckers (700T & 650R)these are controled by a 3 way pickup selector with one volume and one tone knob that controls both pickups simulatniously. There are stock tuners (non locking). Due to where I got this instrument from I had a gig bag, strap, cable and SOME tools free with it.

downfromthesky
    for a starting guitarist this guitar is great, i started out with it and learned basically everything i know on it, but it really is JUST a starting guitar.
    grohl1987
    What's with all the reviews on here saying it's made in America or Japan? "Solid ebony body"? No such thing exists. The only MIA or MIJ LP Special is the faded one Gibson started making a year ago but that's not called the Special II, that's a proper Les Paul Special. Seems like most of these reviews were written by people who know absolutely jack-shit nothing about guitars.
    mydian
    Apeshxt
    bokuho wrote: Friend of mine got one of these just a couple of weeks back. Used it a bit, it seems decent considering the price, but Epiphone make some much better guitars too, and virtually all Epi's are cheap anyway. Unless you really are looking for the absolute cheapest LP out there, I'd say you're better off going with an Epi LP Standard - still cheap, and sounds a helluva lot better
    Just look at Jack White
    rv_phoenix
    mydian wrote: grohl1987 wrote: Seems like most of these reviews were written by people who know absolutely jack-shit nothing about guitars. A beginner guitar with reviews written buy beginners, who know nothing about guitars.. what are the odds of that?
    Welcome to UG, my friend!